October 22, 20141st2nd1OT 2OT Final
COKER15:02Connor Norton-Baker (Matt Taylor )
NBY61:28Sam Lacey (Bennett Murphy )
COKERKyndle Cobb110:0016
NBYNick Lucido110:00110
Stats at a GlanceCOKERNBY
Shots (on Goal)19 (11) 28 (7)
Corner Kicks89
Yellow Cards22
Wolves and Cobras tangle in 1-1 draw

Wolves and Cobras tangle in 1-1 draw
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 | by Evan Nicely, Athletic Communications

NEWBERRY – Despite getting a second half equalizer from Sam Lacey and the highest shot total the Wolves have posted all season, the team couldn’t come away with a win as they drew Coker 1-1.

Lacey (Adelaide, SA, Australia) scored his second goal of the season at the 61:28 mark in the contest and Newberry (5-8-2, 2-5-2) outshot Coker (3-6-5, 3-3-3) 14-5 in the second frame but the game went to overtime where Newberry again couldn’t find the winner.

For the game the Wolves set a season-high with 28 total shots and surpassed their previous high set just last week against Chowan in a 4-1 win. The Wolves did lose the shots on goal battle to the Cobras who held an 11-7 advantage.

Senior goalkeeper Nick Lucido (Lakeland, Fla.) made 10 saves in the contest and allowed Newberry to push forward late in the contest and in overtime to attempt to take a win.

Coker did get on the scoreboard first as just over 15 minutes into the match, Connor Norton-Baker got a ball laid off to him by Matt Taylor and hit a shot into the far side netting. The teams would trade possession but Coker would get one more look before the half was up.

Noah Gulley would try to put the Cobras up two goals but his header was cleared off the line by Lucido and the Wolves defense to avoid danger.

Newberry came out with a lot more intensity in the second half and took control of the game. Two minutes in the half a ball was played in for Bennett Murphy (Hilton Head, S.C.) who’s header glanced just wide of the post.

Murphy would get involved again as in the 62nd minute he got the ball on the wing, turned around and hit a whipping ball towards the six yard box where Lacey made a perfect run in behind the defense and used the inside of his foot to hit the ball into the back of the net.  

The teams would be unable to decide the game during regulation and headed to overtime. Newberry’s last chance came from Davis Bryan (Dacula, Ga.) in the 95th minute as he tried to flick over a header into the back of the net but his attempt went high and the game ended in a tie.

Newberry will be back in action for senior day on Saturday against Lenoir-Rhyne at 3 p.m.