September 24, 20141st2ndFinal
PFE20:25Jaime Siaj
PFE26:22Jaime Siaj
PFE33:43Nathan Regis (Jaime Siaj )
PFE48:18Nathan Regis (Martim Galvao )
PFE85:54Nick Janes (Max Rogers )
PFENicolas Dulac90:0004
NBYNick Lucido90:0064
Stats at a GlancePFENBY
Shots (on Goal)11 (10) 16 (4)
Corner Kicks14
Yellow Cards02
Newberry drops game to Pfeiffer

Newberry drops game to Pfeiffer
Wednesday, September 24, 2014 | by Evan Nicely, Athletic Communications

NEWBERRY – The Newberry Wolves men’s soccer team slipped to 2-3-1, 1-0-1 after a 6-0 loss at home to the Pfeiffer Falcons  (3-3-0, 1-1-0).

The Wolves outshot the Falcons 16-11 but trailed in shots on goal 6-4 and just couldn’t put together a scoring combination in a game that was played in moist and sloppy conditions as it rained steadily throughout the contest.

The loss broke the Wolves three game unbeaten streak which had spanned wins over Mars Hill, North Greenville, and a tie at home against No. 25 Lincoln Memorial.

Newberry was led by freshman Paul Marie (France) who posted three shots with one on target, as well as Mario Stojkoski (Skopje ,Macedonia) and Davis Bryan (Dacula, Ga.) who also had three shots. Senior goalkeeper Nick Lucido (Lakeland, Fla.) posted four saves in goal.

The Wolves were without a pair of starters in redshirt senior defender Stephen Harvey (Kingston, Jamaica) as well as freshman forward Ky Tyler (Nyack, N.Y.) who missed the games due to injuries sustained in the draw with LMU on Saturday. 

Maire had a few dangerous crosses as did a quite a few other Newberry players throughout the game but they were cut out by the Falcons defense or skipped through on the wet grass just out of reach. The possession remained about even throughout the game but Newberry wasn't quite clicking on all cylinders.

The Wolves didn’t get off to a great start as just 4:10 into the match the Falcons had a corner kick that was played in and had a header misdirected by forward Dillion Pelton (Pomaria, S.C.) that eventually found its way into the back of their own net.

After a 15 minute run of balanced play, the Falcons struck twice in six minutes to blow the game open. At the 20:25 mark Newberry gave away a foul just outside of the box and Jamie Saij bent it around the wall into the side netting.

Siaj struck again in the 26:22 as Martim Galvao took a shot that was saved by senior goalkeeper Lucido who couldn’t corral the rebound and Saij tapped the ball into the open goal.

Pfeiffer would take a 4-0 lead into the half after Nathan Regis got on the end of a Siaj cross and slid to knock it into the net. Regis would score again at the 48:18 minute mark after Galvao played a one touch ball over the top and he had a toe poke finish to go up 5-0.

The Falcons last goal came from Nick Janes who had a shot from the top of the box with 85:54 gone in the game.

Newberry will return to action in a SAC game at Catawba on Saturday at 8 p.m.