September 16, 20091st2nd1OT 2OT Final
UM27:44Nathaniel Foster
NEWM51:09Adrian Ochoa (Taylor Denny , Colt Priest)
UM61:25Matt Maughn (Nathaniel Foster , Milan Pualic)
NEWM70:24Marvin Torvic (Colt Priest )
UMRobert Mueller110:0026
NEWMJoel Johnson110:0025
Stats at a GlanceUMNEWM
Shots (on Goal)24 (7) 18 (8)
Corner Kicks115
Yellow Cards32
Newberry battles Montevallo to 2-2 tie
Marvin Torvic celebrates after his goal tied the match, 2-2.

Newberry battles Montevallo to 2-2 tie
Wednesday, September 16, 2009

NEWBERRY - The Newberry College men's soccer team had to fight through its second consecutive overtime match, but this time the scarlet and gray would not go down with a loss and played the University of Montevallo Falcons to a 2-2 tie.

Newberry (1-4-1) notched two goals in the second half to even the score with Montevallo (3-2-1) each time. The Falcons outshot the scarlet and gray 24 to 18, but Newberry tallied more shots on goal, with an eight to seven advantage.

Trailing 2-1 in the 71st minute, Newberry capitalized on a set piece opportunity to tie the match at 2-2. Colt Priest (Marietta, Ga.) took a free kick from a just inside the Montevallo half, sending a ball deep to the penalty area that Marvin Torvic (French Guiana) headed past Montevallo goalkeeper Robert Mueller for the score. Torvic also scored the game-tying goal that sent the game into overtime in the team's previous match against Clayton State. The goal gave Torvic his third for the season and the assist marked Priest's second of the match.

Both teams began the match looking for the first goal, but Montevallo would strike earliest. Nathaniel Foster found a loose ball in the Newberry end, avoided Newberry goalkeeper Joel Johnson's (Sangre Grande, Trinidad & Tobago) challenge and put the ball in to give Montevallo a 1-0 lead in the 28th minute.

Newberry would search for an answer but didn't find one before halftime, entering the break down 1-0 to Montevallo. The tie didn't last long, however, as the scarlet and gray found a scoring chance in the 52nd minute. Colt Priest chipped in a cross from the right side into the penalty area, where Taylor Denny (Myrtle Beach, S.C.) headed a ball that found the foot of Adrian Ochoa (East Point, Ga.), who tapped in the ball to even the game, 1-1.

Denny entered the game in the 33rd minute, marking the first game action of his collegiate career. His assist on Ochoa's second goal of the season gave Denny his first point in college as well.

Newberry looked for a go-ahead goal but Montevallo found one first again. After Colt Priest received a yellow card in the 62nd minute, Montevallo's Milan Pualic passed the free kick to Nathaniel Foster, who streaked down the field and launched a cross from the end line. Matt Maughn took the cross and scored, putting Montevallo on top, 2-1.

Torvic's goal would prove the last score for either team, but each side had opportunities in the two overtimes. Three minutes into the first overtime, a Newberry foul in the penalty area gave Montevallo a penalty kick. Milan Pualic, who finished with nine shots for the Falcons, took the kick but pushed the shot wide left to keep the match alive.

Montevallo's Robert Mueller made a save on a long Stephan Bass (Fayetteville, Ga.) shot one minute later and stopped an Adrian Ochoa shot in the second overtime, resulting in the 2-2 tie.

Joel Johnson made five saves in the match and his record moves to 1-4-1 this season.

Both teams engaged in physical play, with Montevallo outfouling Newberry by a 25 to 19 count. In addition to Priest's yellow card, Ryan King (Surfside Beach, S.C.) picked up a caution for the scarlet and gray. Nathan Archard, Chris Stanfield and Alex Ghoja received yellow cards for Montevallo.

Newberry will enjoy another match at home when the team hosts Lander University for its next match on Saturday, September 19 at 4 p.m.