August 27, 20091st2nd1OT 2OT Final
NEWM13:17Ben Mottel (Colt Priest )
AUM51:11Lasse Sohrweide
NEWM53:20Marvin Torvic
AUM67:30Lasse Sohrweide
AUM103:43Mark Smith (Zeron Forte )
AUMBenjamin Pepion103:4324
NEWMJoel Johnson103:43310
Stats at a GlanceAUMNEWM
Shots (on Goal)29 (13) 12 (6)
Corner Kicks83
Yellow Cards13
Newberry drops double-overtime heartbreaker to Anderson in season opener
Colt Priest's throw-in helped put Newberry on the board early in the first half.

Newberry drops double-overtime heartbreaker to Anderson in season opener
Thursday, August 27, 2009

NEWBERRY - The Newberry College men's soccer team had hoped for a better fate to begin its 2009 campaign, but one well-placed ball from Anderson University dashed those dreams in a double-overtime thriller at the Newberry Soccer Complex.

The two teams battled back and forth for the entire game, swapping goals until an Anderson (1-0-0) golden goal in the second overtime sent Newberry (0-1-0) home with a loss.

Anderson's Mark Smith spoiled the start of Newberry's season with a 25-yard strike that beat Newberry goalkeeper Joel Johnson (Sangre Grande, Trinidad & Tobago) to give Anderson the win. Smith, after taking a pass from Zeron Forte, streaked down the left side and launched the shot that ended the game.

In last year's matchup between Anderson and Newberry, the Trojans waited until the final eight minutes to catch up with the scarlet and gray. This year saw the match go to 104 minutes, with the same result.

Though leading at the half 1-0, Newberry surrendered a quick goal in the 52nd minute. After a Justin Blomdahl (Pawleys Island, S.C.) challenge drew a yellow card, Anderson's Lasse Sohrweide put the free kick past Johnson to tie the game at 1-1.

Though falling to 0-1-0 on the season, Johnson proved a veritable wall in goal for Newberry. Shortly before Sohrweide's free kick score, Johnson stopped two Anderson point-blank shots on the goal line that left several Trojans holding their heads in their hands. Johnson finished with 10 saves on the day.

Newberry would not let the 1-1 tie stand for long, however. Two minutes later, Marvin Torvic (French Guiana) launched a shot from 20 yards away that found the right side of the net, passing Anderson goalkeeper Benjamin Pepion to put Newberry ahead, 2-1.

Anderson would find the tying goal with a penalty kick in the 68th minute, again calling on Sohrweide to score. After Scott Busbee (Columbia, S.C.) was called for obstructing the ball while on the ground inside the penalty area, Sohrweide converted the penalty kick to bring the game to 2-2.

Johnson would hold off Anderson for the rest of regulation, stopping a header in the 74th minute and making a save on yet another penalty kick. With Sohrweide poised for a hat trick on a penalty kick opportunity in the 87th minute, Johnson made a diving stop to his left to keep Newberry even.

A tense first overtime period saw one shot from each team, leading to the second extra frame and Anderson's eventual game winning goal.

Though much of the game resembeled a heavyweight slugfest, Newberry looked excited to start its season by wasting little time to get the first goal of 2009 on the board.

After a probing 10 minutes to open the game, Newberry began to settle into its attack. After several shots from the team's forwards, Newberry found the back of the net in the 14th minute on a long throw-in from Colt Priest (Marietta, Ga.) that Ben Mottel (North Augusta, S.C.) headed past Pepion to put Newberry on top, 1-0.

Last year's match featured a testy atmosphere on the field with five cautions, and this year proved similar with four. Anderson's Aldo-Lopez Gil earned the Trojan's only yellow while Moise Nkoko, Blomdahl and Torvic received yellow cards for Newberry.

Newberry will look for its first win as it hits the road for the first time in 2009, playing at Erskine College on August 29 at 4 p.m.