|February 24, 2016||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||COKER||NBY|
|FG Percentage||.397 (25-63)||.574 (31-54)|
|3P FG Percentage||.240 (6-25)||.560 (14-25)|
|FT Percentage||.722 (13-18)||.759 (22-29)|
- 17||Mitch Riggs
- 7||D.J. Copeland
- 3||D.J. Copeland
Donte Samuels - 4
- 3||Brandon Taylor
Xavier Holmes - 1
NEWBERRY - The Newberry Wolves play the penultimate game of the 2015-16 season Wednesday, hosting the Coker Cobras in a game that has plenty of implications for the scarlet and gray.
WHO: Coker College at Newberry College
WHERE: Newberry's Eleazer Arena
WHEN: Approximately 8 p.m. on Wednesday, February 24
RECORDS: Newberry is 16-10 overall and 11-9 in the South Atlantic Conference. Coker is 9-15 overall and 5-15 in the league.
LIVE STATS: www.NewberryStats.com
LIVE VIDEO: www.NewberryWolves.TV
LIVE AUDIO: www.NewberryWolves.TV and live over the air in Newberry County on WKDK-AM 1240
ON THE LINE
- Newberry needs a win to help its chances of earning a home game in the quarterfinals of the South Atlantic Conference Tournament.
- The top four seeds hosts games next Wednesday. Lincoln Memorial, Queens and Wingate have sealed their hosting responsibilities.
- The Wolves and Lenoir-Rhyne (12-8) are fighting for the fourth spot, with Carson-Newman (10-10) technically in play as well.
- For Coker, a spot in the tournament is on the line.
- The Cobras, Mars Hill and Anderson are all tied at 5-15 with Tusculum in eighth at 7-13. Those three teams need the Pioneers to lose their two remaining games and have some help to qualify.
- A loss would eliminate Coker from contention.
APPROACHING THE CENTURY MARK
- Newberry head coach Dave Davis is only two wins away from 100 victories at Newberry College.
- He has 435 career wins, ranking in the top 25 in active coaching wins in Division II.
NETS ON FIRE
- The Wolves should break their South Atlantic Conference record for scoring average this season.
- The previous record was 93.3 points per game in 2013-14.
- Newberry currently averages 95.2 points per game.
- However, Newberry is also mathematically likely to lose ownership of that record, as Lincoln Memorial is averaging 96.3 points per game.
- West Liberty leads Division II with a 101.7 points per game average, with LMU ranked second and Newberry ranked third.
LAST TIME AGAINST THE COBRAS: Coker 86, Newberry 80 in Hartsville on January 13
- The Cobras limited Newberry to its second-fewest points of the season in a wire-to-wire win, leading by as many as 17 points in the second half.
- Newberry was out-rebounded 38-27 and stayed in the game thanks to 24 made free throws.
- Xavier Holmes led the Wolves with 16 points, while Mitch Riggs and Brandon Taylor each scored 14.
- Coker's Aubrey Daniel scored 21 points while Trey Marshall netted 19.
LAST TIME OUT: Newberry 110, Tusculum 101
- Six Wolves scored in double digits as the Newberry men's basketball team avenged a loss from earlier this year with a 110-101 Senior Day win over the visiting Tusculum Pioneers on Saturday.
- Newberry quite simply won the game at the foul line. Tusculum shot well from the field and made six more field goals than the Wolves, but the scarlet and gray had 20 more free throw attempts.
- The Pioneers made 40 field goals - including 14 three-pointers - with a 58.8% overall shooting percentage and a 53.8% three-point percentage.
- Newberry made 34-of-74 shots from the field (45.9%) with 16 three-pointers for a 39.0% long-distance percentage.
- The Wolves made 26-of-31 free throws (83.9%), while Tusculum made 7-of-11 free throws (63.6%).
- Newberry committed only 17 fouls in the game, while Tusculum was called for 26 fouls.
- Gerald Evans led all scorers with 23 points and tied for the team high with five rebounds.
- Brandon Taylor had 15 points, five rebounds and three steals, while Mitch Riggs scored 14 points and dished out four assists.
- Ronell Crockett netted 13 points, Xavier Hill scored 12 markers and James Stepp was good for 10 points.
- Tusculum also had six double digit scorers, led by 17 points from Javon Price.