February 17, 20161st2ndFinal
Stats at a GlanceNBYLR
FG Percentage.414 (29-70) .460 (29-63)
3P FG Percentage.326 (14-43) .444 (16-36)
FT Percentage.846 (11-13) .600 (12-20)
Offensive Rebounds1212
Defensive Rebounds2730
Total Rebounds3942
Bench Points4224
PointsMason Spease - 15
Palmore - 23
ReboundsMitch Riggs - 8
Palmore - 14
AssistsD.J. Copeland - 5
Palmore - 8
StealsGerald Evans - 2
Palmore - 3
BlocksPalmore - 2
Leskovar - 2
Bears edge Wolves, 86-83

Bears edge Wolves, 86-83
Wednesday, February 17, 2016 | by Josh Manck, Assistant AD for Athletic Communications

HICKORY, N.C. - The Lenoir-Rhyne Bears scored five points in the final 10 seconds to snatch an 86-83 victory over the Newberry Wolves at Shuford Gymnasium on Wednesday night.

Newberry falls to 15-10 overall and 10-9 in the South Atlantic Conference, while Lenoir-Rhyne is now 17-7 overall and 12-7 in the league. Newberry hosts Tusculum for Senior Day on Saturday, with only three games remaining in the regular season.


  • Both teams made exactly 29 field goals in the game, but Lenoir-Rhyne drained 16 three-pointers to the Wolves' 14 - as well as 12 free throws to Newberry's 11 - to provide the three-point final margin.
  • For Newberry, Mason Spease was the leading scorer with 15 points on 5-of-9 three-point shooting.
  • Xavier Hill scored 11 points and Gerald Evans scored 10 points.
  • Lenoir-Rhyne's Keenan Palmore scored 23 points and Will Perry netted 11.


Neither team was able to extend a lead into double digits - a rarity in a Newberry men's game. The largest lead of the first half was a 41-34 Newberry advantage when Brandon Taylor made a layup with 2:25 left in the opening period. Newberry was unable to score again before the break and Lenoir-Rhyne closed the period on an 8-0 run to take a 42-41 lead into the locker room.

The largest lead of the game for either team came at the 12:25 mark of the second half when a Taylor layup capped a 4-0 run to put the Wolves up 59-51.

The Bears clawed their way back into the game and a Palmore layup with 6:42 to play tied the game at 68-68. Newberry was able to get up by four points down the stretch, but the Bears answered every time. Newberry led 83-81 on an Evans layup with just under a minute and a half left.

Lenoir-Rhyne missed a shot inside the final 25 seconds, but the rebound bounced around went out of bounds off of a Newberry player, giving the Bears another shot. Perry made it count, draining a triple with just under 10 seconds to play. A timing error allowed the Bears to reset their defense and Evans dribbled the ball off of his leg in the paint. 

Newberry was forced to foul and Perry made both free throws. A last ditch desperation three-pointer from just inside the halfway line was lacking, giving the hosts the win and a season split.