|February 06, 2016||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||MHUM||NBY|
|FG Percentage||.410 (32-78)||.528 (38-72)|
|3P FG Percentage||.389 (14-36)||.519 (14-27)|
|FT Percentage||.600 (15-25)||.750 (27-36)|
- 21||Gerald Evans
- 7||Xavier Holmes
- 5||Mitch Riggs
Gerald Evans - 5
Bauer - 1
Yeargin - 1
Neal - 1
Mason Spease - 2
- 2||Xavier Holmes
NEWBERRY - The Newberry Wolves broke the South Atlantic Conference's longest winning streak with a big win over Wingate and now have a two-game winning streak of their own. Now, with momentum and the home crowd behind them, the scarlet and gray look for their third straight win and a season sweep over Mars Hill.
WHO: Mars Hill University at Newberry College
WHERE: Newberry's Eleazer Arena
WHEN: Approximately 4 p.m. on Saturday, February 6
RECORDS: Newberry is 13-8 overall and 8-7 in the South Atlantic Conference. Mars Hill is 9-11 overall and 5-9 in conference action.
LIVE STATS: www.NewberryStats.com
LIVE VIDEO: www.NewberryWolves.TV
LIVE AUDIO: www.NewberryWolves.TV and live over the air in Newberry County on WKDK-AM 1240
LAST TIME OUT: Newberry 84, Wingate 76
- The Newberry Wolves led by as many as 26 points on the way to an 84-76 win over the visiting Wingate Bulldogs in Eleazer Arena on Wednesday night.
- Xavier Holmes led the Wolves in scoring with 18 points on 5-of-9 shooting from the floor and making 8-of-14 free throws. He also added eight rebounds, three blocks and two steals.
- He led five Wolves in double figures as Mitch Riggs scored 12 points, Brandon Taylor scored 11 points and James Ashby and Gerald Evans netted 10 apiece.
- In a foul-heavy game with 61 combined personal infractions called, Newberry took advantage of its opportunities at the charity stripe, making 30-of-40 free throws, compared to a 20-of-31 mark for the Bulldogs.
- The Wolves forced 19 Wingate turnovers in the game.
- Uncharacteristically, the Wolves had only four offensive rebounds in their 36 rebound total.
- The Wolves avenged a three-point loss to Wingate in December to salvage the season split.
NEWBERRY KEY NOTES
- Newberry ranks third in the nation and second in the conference in scoring with 94 points per game, just behind Lincoln Memorial's 95.3 points per game.
- The Wolves also rank third nationally in offensive rebounds at 14.86 o-boards per contest, despite having only four offensive rebounds in the win over Wingate.
- Newberry ranks second nationally in steals per contest at 10.9 steals per contest, led by Evans, who ranks 14th nationally at 2.26 steals per game.
LAST TIME AGAINST THE LIONS
- Holmes notched his third consecutive double-double to lead Newberry to a 99-93 win at Mars Hill in mid-December.
- Newberry shot 50% from the field and season best 80% at the charity stripe.
- Xavier Holmes picked up his third double-double in three games with game high 33 points going 14-20 from the field, 10 boards and went 5-6 at the free throw line.
- Mitch Riggs finished the day with 18 points, seven boards and four assists while Gerald Evans picked up eight assists.