NEWBERRY - The Newberry College men's basketball team will look to snap a two-game losing streak on Saturday, traveling to the Upstate to take on rival Anderson University on Saturday afternoon.
WHO: Newberry College at Anderson University
WHERE: Abney Athletic Center, Anderson, S.C.
WHEN: 4 p.m. on Saturday, January 30
LIVE STATS: http://autrojans.athleticsite.net/livestats/mb/xlive.htm
LIVE VIDEO: http://livestream.com/AUIT/Basketball
LIVE AUDIO: http://www.NewberryWolves.TV
LOOKING AT THE GAME
- Newberry is looking for its first win at Anderson under the tutelage of head coach Dave Davis.
- The Wolves beat Anderson in game one of the series this year, 81-73 at Eleazer Arena.
- Xavier Holmes led the way with 23 points, 11 rebounds, 2 steals, and 2 blocks.
- Brandon Taylor and Mitch Riggs combined for 22 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 steals.
- Randall Shaw led the way for the Trojans with 24 points, three rebounds, and three steals.
NEWBERRY IN THE NATIONAL STATS
- Newberry ranks third in Division II in scoring at 94.0 points per game, but is still only second in the South Atlantic Conference behind Lincoln Memorial.
- The Wolves rank second nationally in steals per game (11.2 steals per game).
- Newberry tops the nation in total steals (212) and turnovers forced per game (21.16).
- Gerald Evans is ranked 19th nationally with 2.18 steals per game.
LAST TIME OUT
- Newberry was edged late on the road by No. 15 Queens, 92-87.
- Xavier Holmes scored 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to lead the Wolves in both categories.
- Brandon Taylor scored 11 points, while Evans scored 10 points, grabbed five rebounds and passed out four assists.
- The Wolves shot just 37.6% from the floor and were victimized by Queens' foul shooting, as the Royals made 26 free throws compared to Newberry's 14 in a five-point contest.