|January 16, 2016||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||BC||NBY|
|FG Percentage||.400 (20-50)||.466 (34-73)|
|3P FG Percentage||.368 (7-19)||.324 (12-37)|
|FT Percentage||.524 (11-21)||.500 (10-20)|
- 15||Dhonte Ford
- 8||Brandon Taylor
- 5||D.J. Copeland
D.J. Bostick - 2
Fred Rambert - 2
James Stepp - 3
Omar El Diraoui - 2
NEWBERRY – Newberry Wolves defeat the Tornados of Brevard College Saturday night 90-58 in Eleazer Arena as Dhonte Ford finished with 16 points.
Newberry moves to 10-6 on the year while moving to 5-5 in the South Atlantic Conference. Brevard falls to 2-13 on the year and 1-8 in the SAC.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Newberry shot 46.6% from the field and 32.4% from the three point marker while shooting 50% at the charity line.
- Dhonte Ford went 6-12 from the field, 2-7 from three point land to finish with a game high 16 points and notched three steals.
- Brandon Taylor grabbed career high 15 rebounds while finishing with seven points while notching two assists and one steal.
- Xavier Holmes threw down three huge dunks as he finished 6-6 from the field, five rebounds and 14 total points while Ronell Crockett was one rebound away from a double-double with 13 points and nine boards.
- Newberry finished with 51 rebounds, 23 assists and 16 steals while forcing 27 turnovers.
- Brevard shot 40% from the field while going 20-50 and shot 36.8% from three point land.
- Fred Rambert had team high 15 points for the Tornados while Demarcus Threatt finished with nine points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Brevard’s defense kept the Wolves from scoring in the opening five minutes as the Tornados jumped out to an early 8-0 lead. Ronell Crockett scored first for the Wolves when he hit a jump shot from about 20 feet out to get Newberry on the board. 30 seconds later Mitch Riggs laid one in to make the score 8-4. Brevard came right back down the field to hit a three from Demarcus Threatt.
Newberry battled back to tie the game at 14 when James Stepp hit a three of his own. Dhonte Ford got into the action with a layup followed by a Crockett jump shot to give the Wovles the four point lead (18-14).
With about five minutes left in the first half James Ashby missed a layup but Xavier Holmes is there to throw down the put back dunk.
Newberry scored nine unanswered points to close out the half and control the lead with a 30-20 half time score.
Newberry opened the second half with a half court alley oop to Xavier Holmes from DJ Copeland. Four minutes into the second half, Mitch Riggs made two free throws to give Newberry a 40-24 lead.
The Wolves went up by 22 when James Stepp hit a three and make the score 46-24. Miles Leathers cut the lead with a layup of his own 30 seconds later. Brandon Taylor got into the action with a free throw for his first basket of the game to go along with 12 rebounds at that point in the game.
James Ashby got into the dunking action after he stole a pass and threw it down on the fast break to give the Wolves a 50-29 lead. With about 10 minutes to go, Ronell Crockett made a free throw to keep the Wolves up by 20.
Less than a minute later Brandon Taylor hit a three followed by a three from Xavier Hill to give the Wolves a 59-34 lead. Five minutes later, Xavier Holmes threw down another big dunk on an inbound pass from DJ Copeland.
Fred Rambert tried to bring the Tornados back into the game with a couple back to back threes to cut the score to 75-52.
Newberry never let up as they finished the game on a 6-2 scoring run in the final minute and thirty seconds and won the game 90-58.
UP NEXT FOR THE WOLVES
- Newberry will be on the road Wednesday, Jan. 23rd when they head to Charlotte, N.C. to face Catawba at 8 p.m.