|January 06, 2016||1st||2nd||1OT||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||LR||NBY|
|FG Percentage||.477 (41-86)||.505 (46-91)|
|3P FG Percentage||.366 (15-41)||.400 (10-25)|
|FT Percentage||.862 (25-29)||.674 (31-46)|
- 29||Brandon Taylor
- 10||Brandon Taylor
Perry - 5
- 4||Gerald Evans
- 2||Xavier Holmes
Amp Moore - 2
NEWBERRY – Newberry Wolves had a thrilling overtime victory over the Lenoir-Rhyne Bears Wednesday night in Eleazer Arena scoring 133 points to the Bears 122 points.
Newberry improves to 9-4 on the year while moving to 4-3 in the South Atlantic Conference. Lenoir-Rhyne dropped to 9-3 overall and to 4-3 in the SAC.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Newberry shot 50.5% from the field and 40% from the three point marker.
- Brandon Taylor tied game high 29 points going 8-12 from the field, 1-2 from three point land and 12-14 at the charity stripe while grabbing 10 boards to complete a double-double.
- Gerald Evans notched 19 points going 6-11 from the field, 2-4 from behind the arc, 5-6 at the free throw line, four rebounds, 12 assists and five steals while only turning the ball over once.
- Xavier Holmes was second on the team in scoring with 23 points and six rebounds.
- The Bears shot 47.7% from the field and 86.2% at the free throw line.
- Will Perry also tied game high 29 points while Keenan Palmore finished with 19 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Rob Noyes opened up the game with a quick layup but Evans came right back down the floor and hit a three just seven seconds later. James Stepp then received a pass from James Ashby and hit a three of his own to put the Wolves up 6-2 in the opening 30 seconds.
DJ Copeland hit a layup to give the Wolves a three point lead (10-7). The Bears started to make a run when Lawrence Miller hit a three to pull within one and make the score 15-14. Copeland and Crockett each hit layups to put the Wolves up 19-16 with about 12 minutes left in the half.
The Bears tied the game at 21 when Darrion Evans hit a layup. Holmes hit a layup of his own 20 seconds later to take the lead back for the Wolves.
With about five minutes remaining Keenan Palmore hit a free throw to cut the Wolves lead to five and make the score 40-35. Holmes and Stepp each hit a jumper to give the Wolves a 10 point lead a minute later.
Brandon Taylor hit a three to give the Wolves a 50-35 lead with under three minutes to play.
At the end of the first half Mitch Riggs hit a layup to give the Wolves 55 points to the Bears 40.
The second half opened up with a lot of scoring from both sides as the score was 62-46 just a minute and a half into the second half of the game.
The Bears started to make a run and cut into the lead with two free throws from Will Perry which made the score 71-58.
With about 10 minutes to play, the Wolves were holding on to a 13 point lead when Holmes made a free throw. Reed Lucas cut the lead to 10 when he hit a three 15 seconds later.
Will Perry made two free throws to make the score 84-78 with seven minutes left in the game. Will Perry hit two more free throws to cut the lead to four a minute later.
Mitch Riggs made a layup to widen the gap and make the score 96-88 with exactly three minutes to go. Keenan Palmore hit a layup of his own to make it a six point game again. Rob Noyes had two back to back tip-ins to make it a four point game after Evans hit a layup.
Keenan Palmore hit a layup with one second on the clock to tie the game at 105-105 which put the game into overtime.
The Wolves score 28 points in overtime to the Bears 17 points. Brandon Taylor scored 14 points during overtime which secured the win for the Wolves.
UP NEXT FOR THE WOLVES
- Newberry will be back in action on Saturday Jan. 9th to face off against Tusculum, tipoff set for 4 p.m.