|December 16, 2015||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||NBY||MHUM|
|FG Percentage||.500 (36-72)||.419 (31-74)|
|3P FG Percentage||.158 (3-19)||.361 (13-36)|
|FT Percentage||.800 (24-30)||.692 (18-26)|
Xavier Holmes - 10
James Stepp - 2
Gerald Evans - 2
Carson - 2
Bauer - 2
MARS HILL, N.C. – Newberry Wolves beat the Mars Hill Lions 99-93 Wednesday night as Xavier Holmes led the way at the Stanford Arena with his third double-double in three games.
Newberry moves to 8-3 overall while going to 3-2 in conference play. Mars Hill falls to 5-7 overall and 1-3 in the South Atlantic Conference.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Newberry shot 50% from the field and season best 80% at the charity strike.
- Xavier Holmes picked up his third double-double in three games with game high 33 points going 14-20 from the field, 10 boards and went 5-6 at the free throw line.
- Mitch Riggs finished the day with 18 points, seven boards and four assists while Gerald Evans picks up eight assists.
- The Wolves tallied 53 rebounds, 19 assists, eight steals and four blocked shots against the Lions.
- Newberry forced 15 turnovers during the win.
- Mars Hill shot 41.9% from the field going 31-74.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Lions started off the game hot hitting their first three out of four shots and help a 7-2 lead. Mitch Riggs got the Wolves back into the game with back to back jumpers to make the score 7-6. Newberry took the lead when Xavier Holmes hit back to back layups and a free throw to go up 13-9. Holmes then hit a fast break layup to go up 15-9 after Brandon McCarter turned the ball over.
The Lions started making a comeback but it came to a halt when Ronell Crockett hit a jumper in the paint to go up 26-22. The Lions tied the game 34-34 when Jalen Witherspoon made a layup but the Wolves would take the lead back when Xavier Holmes hit two more free throws.
About three minutes later Holmes hit a layup and another pair of free throws to put the Wolves up by eight. The Lions closed the gap when Michael Carson hit a three pointer. At the end of the first half, the Wolves were up by eight (50-42) again when Xavier Holmes hit another layup.
The Lions got out to a fast start in the second half as Tyree Griffin hit his first two shots of the half to close the gap to five. Xavier Holmes stretched the lead back out when he hit another layup to go up 52-45.
The Wolves went up by 10 when Brandon Taylor hit a layup and made the score 61-51. The Lions battled back again when Michael Carson hit two at the charity strike. Mitch Riggs hit two free throws of his own to put the Wolves back up by 9 (69-60).
Once again the Lions battled back when Justin Yeargin hit a three pointer to cut the gap to four with about five minutes remaining. Xavier Holmes gave the Wolves a five point lead two minutes later with a layup to go up 87-82.
Newberry held on to that lead for the final two minutes as the Lions started fouling. Newberry shot their season best at the charity strike to put away the Lions 99-93.
UP NEXT FOR THE WOLVES
- Newberry will host No.13 Lincoln Memorial on Saturday. Tip-off set for 4 p.m.