|December 01, 2015||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||ALLEN||NBY|
|FG Percentage||.420 (29-69)||.525 (42-80)|
|3P FG Percentage||.273 (6-22)||.489 (22-45)|
|FT Percentage||.714 (5-7)||.727 (16-22)|
- 19||Mason Spease
- 9||D.J. Copeland
- 3||Matthew Spears
Ivory Drummond - 2
- 2||Ronell Crockett
NEWBERRY – It was raining three’s in Eleazer Arena on Tuesday night, as the Newberry Wolves made a South Atlantic Conference-record 22 three-pointers in a 122-69 rout of Allen.
Newberry moves to 5-2 on the year with the win over the Yellow Jackets.
Allen falls to 2-11 overall.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Newberry shot 52.5% from the field while shooting 48.9% from behind the arc going 22-45.
- The Wolves shot season best at the free throw line going 16-22 giving them a 72.7% at the line.
- Newberry had 45 points off turnovers, 17 second chance points, 46 points in the paint, 54 points off the bench and their largest lead was 53.
- Mason Spease held the top spot for the Wolves offensively, with career best in every category. Spease was 9-13 in the field, 8-10 behind the arc, three offensive rebounds, three defensive rebounds, and two assists and four steals while scoring game high 26 points.
- James Stepp also broke his career numbers in made three pointers with six and four steals while scoring 20 points.
- Xavier Holmes and Mitch Riggs each tallied 11 points while Ronell Crockett finished with 10 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Wolves jumped out early with a James Stepp three pointer after Allen broke through the Wolves full court pressure for a easy layup. Ronell Crockett then made a fast break layup of his own to open up the game with a score of 9-4. About five minutes into the game Mitch Riggs hit a layup to put the Wolves on top 16-12. Newberry really started to pull away when Crockett hit a layup to make the score 28-19. The Wolves never let off the gas from their as they were up 46-30 with 8:00 left in the first half. Newberry scored six points in the next two minutes when Spease hit a rare layup to push the Wolves lead to 20, 54-34. Dhonte Ford and Spease each hit back to back to back three’s to put the Wolves up 63-34. Newberry scored 69 points in the first half and held on to a 31 point lead.
Newberry stayed strong for the second half as Holmes opened up the half with a quick layup. The Wolves scored the first eight points to start the half when Allen’s DJ Marshall hit a layup four minutes into the half. Stepp and Spease hit back to back three’s to put the Wolves up 83-45 with 14:50 left in the game. Brandon Taylor and Mitch Riggs each hit three pointers as well two minutes later to put the Wolves up 91-41. With 10 minutes left, Spease hit a three, then Gerald Evans hit one of his own and then Spease swished another three to put the Wolves up by 51. With 4:56 remaining in the game, Amp Moore got into the action with a three pointer of his own, Stepp hit another just 20 seconds later to put the Wolves up 111-62. With five seconds remaining the Wolves knew they were one three pointer away from breaking the SAC record. Amp Moore passed up the three and let Mason Spease take the shot. Spease drained the final shot of the game and the 22 three pointer of the game to give Newberry the new South Atlantic Conference record.
UP NEXT FOR THE WOLVES
- Newberry will travel to Jefferson City, Tennessee to play Carson-Newman with tip-off set for 4 p.m.