|November 21, 2015||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||LMC||NBY|
|FG Percentage||.500 (33-66)||.517 (31-60)|
|3P FG Percentage||.441 (15-34)||.320 (8-25)|
|FT Percentage||.556 (10-18)||.839 (26-31)|
- 28||Ronell Crockett
- 7||James Stepp
Xavier Holmes - 7
- 6||Gerald Evans
Mitch Riggs - 2
D.J. Copeland - 2
- 2||Dhonte Ford
Darius Malbon - 1
NEWBERRY – Ronell Crockett’s 21 points leads the Wolves past the Bobcats in Newberry’s home opener.
Newberry now moves to 2-1 with today’s 96-91 win. Newberry has won two in a row and will look to make it three in a row tomorrow against Washington Adventist.
Lees-McRae falls to 1-6 on the season after they got their first win yesterday against Allen University.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Newberry shot 50% from the field while shooting 32% from three point land. The Wolves had their best game of the year at the line making 26 out of 31 free throw attempts giving them a 83.9% at the charity line.
- Ronell Crockett was 9-12 from the field and went 3-3 at the free throw line giving him 21 points while grabbing three defensive rebounds and two offensive rebounds.
- Xavier Holmes had 13 points going 5-8 in the field and 3-4 at the line. Holmes led the way under the baskets with seven rebounds.
- Mitch Riggs played an all-around great game with 12 points, four rebounds, two assists and one steal while going 9-10 at the free throw line.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Wolves went up early as Crockett made a layup in the opening 20 seconds of the game and drew the foul call on Cameron Redd. Crockett hit his free throw to open the game up with a 3-0 Newberry lead. Austin Anderson of Lees-McRae hit a three pointer to tie the game up in the opening minute. The first 10 minutes of action was great basketball with the score going back and forth. Amp Moore hit a three at the 13:06 minute mark to put the Wolves up 18-12. The Bobcats would battle back to tie the game up at 21 when Darius Malbon made a layup and went on to take a lead when Keegan Crabtree hit a three to take a 24-21 lead. The Wolves came right back with three free throws made, two made by Mason Spease and one made by James Stepp. With 4:28 J. Copeland hit a three to pull the Wolves within four. At the end of the first half, the Wolves were down 46-40 to the Bobcats.
- The Wolves opened up the second half with a steal by Dhonte Ford and then two free throws by him. Ford then forced a turnover and hit a lay to pull the Wolves within two. The Bobcats would go right down the floor to hit a layup of their own to go back up by four. Newberry came right back to tie the game at 51 when Gerald Evans made a layup and then hit a three to take a 54-51 lead. James Ashby hit a three pointer to push the Wolves lead to 57-51. The Wolves held on to that lead for the rest of the way and the Bobcats cut the lead to three when Austin Anderson hit another three and then Cameron Redd hit a jumper to tie the game at 91. Riggs made two free throws to regain the lead with 45 seconds left. Brandon Taylor blocked a shot and hit Xavier Holmes on an outlet pass and he laid it in for two too put the Wolves up 95-91. Evans hit a free throw to make the score 96-91 which would give the Wolves the win.
UP NEXT FOR THE WOLVES
- The Wolves will round out the 2015 Newberry Invitational tomorrow when they play Washington Adventist at 2 p.m.