|November 15, 2015||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||NBY||MAR|
|FG Percentage||.485 (33-68)||.418 (33-79)|
|3P FG Percentage||.444 (12-27)||.256 (10-39)|
|FT Percentage||.697 (23-33)||.520 (13-25)|
Xavier Holmes - 7
HUNTINGTON, W. Va. – Newberry College beats Division I Marshall University in a exhibition show down with a score of 101 to 89.
The Wolves are 1-1 on the year as the split two games at the Red Myers Litter Four Classic. Newberry lost to Erskine and then came back on Saturday to beat North Greenville.
Marshall is 0-0 as they have played two exhibition games to start off the season.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- James Stepp led the way for the Wolves with 20 points
- Brandon Taylor was 6-6 in the field and finished with 17 points and seven boards
- Xavier Holmes also had seven boards and 15 points
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Wolves were down early in the first half 5-2 as Marshall’s Brett Bowling hit a three pointer a minute into the game. Newberry battled back to tie it at seven when James Stepp made a free throw and then went on to take the lead at 9-7 when Ronell Crockett made a layup with 16:39 left in the first half. D.J. Copeland hit a three to take a 31-24 lead which ignited the Wolves offense. Crockett hit another layup a few minutes later to put the Wolves up by 12 with 7:29 left in the first half. Brandon Taylor then hit a jumper in the paint to put the Wolves up by 14 which was their largest lead of the half. Marshall battled back to pull within four after Austin Loop hit a three pointer but the Wolves kept their heads up and closed out the half with a 55-42 lead.
Newberry came out strong in the second half as they hit a free throw to put them up by 20 with 15:39 left in the game. The Herd started to come back when Justin Edmonds hit back to back three pointers to make the score 82-72. With 2:18 left in the game, Ryan Taylor tip the ball back into the net to pull the Herd within five. Holmes then went on to make a layup to give the Wolves a little more breathing room. With 47 seconds left on the clock, Stepp hit two key free throws to put the Wolves back on top by 11. Marshall came right down the floor to hit a jumper to cut the gap to nine with 35 seconds left. Stepp and Gerald Evans each hit free throws to put Newberry up 101-89. The Herds C.J. Burks missed a three pointer and Evans ran out the clock for the Wolves to win.
UP NEXT FOR THE WOLVES
- The Wolves will host the 2015 Newberry Invitational on Saturday November 21, as they will play Allen at 5 p.m.