January 14, 20151st2ndFinal
Stats at a GlanceNCLR
FG Percentage.426 (29-68) .596 (31-52)
3P FG Percentage.342 (13-38) .389 (7-18)
FT Percentage.750 (15-20) .885 (23-26)
Offensive Rebounds1610
Defensive Rebounds1426
Total Rebounds3036
Bench Points329
PointsSmith - 24
Perry - 26
ReboundsTaylor - 6
Wilson - 12
AssistsEvans - 6
Evans - 4
Lucas - 4
StealsSmith - 4
Perry - 3
BlocksHolmes - 2
Wilson - 3
Newberry falls to Lenoir-Rhyne 92-86

Newberry falls to Lenoir-Rhyne 92-86
Wednesday, January 14, 2015 | by Chris Downey, Athletic Communications Assistant

HICKORY, N.C. – A battle of conference rivals saw No. 20 Newberry fall to the Lenoir-Rhyne Bears 92-86 inside Shuford Gymnasium on Wednesday evening.

Demarkus Smith poured in his fourth consecutive 20 point performance with 24 points including hitting all five shots from beyond the arc. He was also 3-of-4 from the free throw line.

Newberry (12-2, 7-2) fell behind quickly in the second half as Lenoir-Rhyne took a quick five-point advantage within 90 seconds. The Wolves battled back to draw even at 56 apiece following a bucket by Xavier Holmes at the 15:43 mark.

The Bears maintained a one possession lead for the next 11 minutes when Smith connected on a jumper with 4:33 remaining to give the Wolves a one-point lead.

22 seconds later, Newberry recovered a loose ball and Mitch Riggs played Evans an outlet pass with Brandon Taylor trailing. Brandon Rogers came from behind and committed a flagrant one foul on Evans and he fell hard to floor. James Stepp entered the contest while Evans was being attended to by athletic trainer Jeff Coulter.

Following both free-throws from Stepp and a basket from Riggs, Newberry had a two-point advantage with three minutes remaining. With 2:28 left in the half, Taylor went one of two at the stripe which gave the Wolves a brief one-point advantage. Newberry failed connect on another basket from the field until the final seconds of the game.

With 80 seconds left, Darrion Evans buried a 3-point shot from the corner giving the Bears a two point advantage. A lead they did not reliquinsh as they were successful on all but one free throw down the stretch.

In the first half, Newberry fell behind early at 13-5 at the 15:55 mark in the first half following a bucket by Lenoir-Rhyne’s Jake Wilson. The Wolves fought back and took the lead 35-34 at the six minute mark after Smith hit a 3-point shot from the left side of the arc.

Neither team took command in the final minutes of the first half as Newberry continuously matched Lenoir-Rhyne shot for shot, entering halftime tied at 46 apiece. For the Wolves Riggs led all scorers with 13 points on 5-of-7 shooting and 3-of-5 from long range.

The Wolves complete their three game road trip on Saturday as they travel to Brevard against the Tornados of Brevard College. Tipoff scheduled for 2 p.m.