February 27, 20101st2ndFinal
Lincoln Memorial322860
Stats at a GlanceLMUMNEWM
FG Percentage.417 (20-48) .333 (20-60)
3P FG Percentage.421 (8-19) .182 (4-22)
FT Percentage.571 (12-21) .760 (19-25)
Offensive Rebounds1016
Defensive Rebounds2624
Total Rebounds3640
Bench Points1129
PointsCurry - 17
Armstrong - 17
Huffor - 15
ReboundsCurry - 17
Huffor - 8
AssistsMiller - 3
Nelson - 2
Bakinde - 2
StealsMiller - 1
Curry - 1
Jones - 1
Sanford - 1
Johnson - 1
Huffor - 5
BlocksCurry - 3
Bakinde - 5
Newberry stuns LMU, 63-60, on Senior Day

Newberry stuns LMU, 63-60, on Senior Day
Saturday, February 27, 2010 | by Scarlet and gray hold Railsplitters scoreless in final 6:10 to pull off win

NEWBERRY, S.C. - The Newberry College men's basketball team trailed Lincoln Memorial University by 10 points with 6:10 to play in the game, but scored the final 13 points of the game to pull out a stunning 63-60 Senior Day victory in Eleazer Arena on Saturday.

Newberry (10-7 overall, 5-11 South Atlantic Conference) was led offensively by 15 points and eight rebounds off of the bench from Danny Huffor (Marco Island, Fla.), while Ray Robinson (Jacksonville, Fla.) netted 11 points. Stephane Bakinde (Yaounde, Cameroon) scored eight points, grabbed seven rebounds and blocked five shots in his final home game, while Carlnel Williams (North Augusta, S.C.) scored five points on his Senior Day.

Lincoln Memorial (19-8, 9-7 SAC) was paced by a 17-point, 17-rebound double-double from D'Mario Curry (Detroit, Mich.). Brandon Armstrong (Decatur, Ga.) also scored 17 points on the strength of five three-pointers and Wally Jones (Greensboro, N.C.) scored 11 points to round out double-digit scorers.

The entirety of the first half was tightly contested, with three tied scores and six lead changes. With 12:57 remaining in the half, Newberry led 13-9 after a Williams layup, but the Railsplitters scored the next seven points to take a three-point lead. LMU was leading by four points when Coleman Young (Spartanburg, S.C.) went on a personal 5-0 run with a three-pointer and two free throws after a technical foul by Curry. However, the game was immediately tied up again on a free throw and the 'Splitters went on a 7-0 run, holding Newberry scoreless for five and a half minutes.

After being down by seven, Newberry cut the lead down to four points before a Jones jumper in the final minute gave LMU a 32-26 halftime lead. LMU shot 42.9% (9-of-21) from the field in the first half, with five three-pointers. Newberry connected on 10-of-31 (32.3%) of its shots in the opening period.

Things would get worse for Newberry before they got better as the Railsplitters went on a tear out of the locker room. The scarlet and gray did not hit a field goal in the first five minutes of the second half and the 'Splitters went on a 9-0 run to open the period and spread the lead to 41-26 with 16:14 left in the game.

Newberry cut away at the lead consistently as the half progressed, and a pair of back-to-back three-pointers by Huffor cut the lead to four points with just under nine minutes to play. LMU's Armstrong responded in kind with back-to-back treys less than three minutes later to push LMU's lead to 10 points at 60-50 with 6:10 to play.

The scarlet and gray answered with a stellar defensive effort. LMU missed eight shots and turned the ball over twice in that time as Newberry contested every shot and kept the Railsplitters off of the scoreboard. On the other end of the floor, Newberry executed offensively when it mattered the most. A pair of Robinson free throws and an old-fashioned three-point play by Huffor cut the lead to five points with 4:38 to play before a dry spell. Robinson's made free throws with 1:23 to play were the next points scored, and cut the lead to three.

Bakinde made a layup with 28 seconds left to cut the deficit to one point and LMU's Armstrong missed the front end of a one-and-one free throw situation. After a timeout, Newberry point guard Devante Cutler (Brooklyn, N.Y.) drove the lane as the clock ran down and drained a layup with less than five seconds on the clock to give Newberry its first lead of the second half at 61-60.

LMU called timeout and attempted to throw a long pass to get into scoring position, but Huffor intercepted the pass, was fouled and hit both free throws to make it a 63-60 game. LMU's Cameron Carden (Clearwater, Fla.) heaved a long three-point attempt as the buzzer sounded, but the shot was far off the mark and the scarlet and gray emerged victorious for the second consecutive time on their home floor.

Newberry only made 10-of-29 (34.5%) field goals in the second half, while LMU was 11-of-27 (40.7%) in the half. The difference came at the free throw line - where Newberry was 14-of-15 (93.3%) in the second half - and the turnover battle. Newberry forced LMU to turn the ball over 11 times in the second half, while committing only four turnovers.

For the game, Newberry was 20-of-60 (33.3%) from the floor, while LMU was 20-of-48 (41.7%). Newberry held a 40-36 advantage in rebounding, including 16 offensive rebounds.

With the win, Lenoir-Rhyne's loss to Mars Hill and the news that Mars Hill has vacated eight SAC games, preliminary reports show that Newberry has qualified for the 2010 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference Tournament. The official announcement, and explanation for Mars Hill's vacated games, will be released by the SAC office on Sunday.