|October 07, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|NBY||TD||14:51||Markell Castle 12 Yd Pass From Greg Ruff (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|NBY||TD||10:47||Markell Castle 26 Yd Pass From Greg Ruff (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|NBY||TD||01:43||Greg Ruff 10 Yd Run (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|NBY||TD||14:03||A. Moffett (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|LR||TD||08:56||T.J. Smith 6 Yd Pass From Jarrod Kellar (Chase Allbaugh kick)|
|NBY||TD||12:45||Markell Castle 60 Yd Pass From Greg Ruff|
|Stats at a Glance||NBY||LR|
|3rd Down Conversions||8-15||5-14|
|4th Down Conversions||1-2||1-2|
|Passing (Comp-Att)||200 (16-25)||159 (15-27)|
|Rushing (Att)||181 (42)||89 (34)|
NEWBERRY – Newberry hopes to extend its school-record 12-game winning streak in the South Atlantic Conference by claiming the Bishops' Trophy from Lenoir-Rhyne for the third consecutive season.
WHO: Newberry College at Lenoir-Rhyne University
WHERE: Moretz Stadium on the campus of Lenoir-Rhyne in Hickory, N.C.
WHEN: 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 7
RECORDS: Lenoir-Rhyne is 2-3 overall and 1-2 in the South Atlantic Conference. Newberry enters the game at 3-2 and has won its only SAC game.
LIVE VIDEO: www.lrbears.com
LIVE STATS: www.lrbears.com
LIVE AUDIO: www.newberrywolves.tv, WKDK-AM 1240 in Newberry County, www.wkdk.com, WKDK app, "WKDK" on TuneIn Radio app
WEATHER FORECAST: Cloudy with a high of 77 degrees and a few showers. Winds will be light and variable. There is a 30 percent chance of rain.
THIS WEEK'S TOP STORYLINES
1. Newberry and Lenoir-Rhyne have played for the Bishops’ Trophy annually since its creation in 1987 by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America to present to the winner of the football game between the Carolinas’ two Lutheran colleges. Lenoir-Rhyne has a 16-14 series edge since the first Battle for the Bishops’ Trophy.
2. A win would be Newberry’s 12th straight victory in South Atlantic Conference games and would tie Presbyterian (1978-80) for the sixth-longest SAC winning streak in league history. Newberry’s last SAC loss came on Oct. 17, 2015, 722 days prior to kickoff with the Bears.
3. 2017 marks the 72nd consecutive season that Newberry and Lenoir-Rhyne have met on the gridiron, a streak that began in 1946 and represents Newberry’s longest active uninterrupted series. Saturday will be the 84th overall meeting with the Bears, second only to Newberry’s 91 games against Presbyterian.
4. Newberry’s defense has not allowed a 200-yard passer or a 100-yard receiver since Shawheem Dowdy threw for 208 yards and Lavatiae Kelly totaled 116 receiving in Newberry’s 42- 22 win over Virginia Union on Sept. 10, 2016, a span of 15 games. Newberry quarterbacks have accounted for 11 200-yard games and seven receivers have reached triple figures in that span.
5. Last week’s game against UNC Pembroke marked the sixth time since the start of the 2016 season that Newberry’s defense has held an opponent below 250 yards of total offense (UNCP finished with 213) and the ninth time in the last 29 games an opponent has scored 10 points or less.
6. Newberry has allowed less than 60 rushing yards in two of its last three games.
7. Austin Barnes more than doubled his career rushing output with his performance against UNC Pembroke. Barnes entered the game with 17 carries for 70 yards and two scores in his career. He had 105 yards and two touchdowns on 22 carries against the Braves.
8. Newberry has outscored Lenoir-Rhyne 105-28 in its last two games against the Bears.