|September 16, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|Va. U. of Lynchburg||0||0||7||0||7|
|NBY||FG||07:39||Kevin Weber 45 Yd|
|NBY||TD||02:25||B. Staggers 12 Yd Pass From Greg Ruff (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|NBY||TD||12:31||Markell Castle 17 Yd Pass From Nick Jones (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|NBY||TD||07:40||Sean Smith 8 Yd Pass From Sumner Cooler (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|NBY||TD||04:35||Bobby Irby (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|NBY||TD||10:59||Austin Barnes 1 Yd Run (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|NBY||TD||09:29||Baylen English (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|VUL||TD||09:15||Tomas Newman (Christopher Vas kick)|
|NBY||TD||06:32||B. Staggers 3 Yd Pass From Nick Jones (Troy Cann kick)|
|NBY||FG||13:54||Kevin Weber 40 Yd|
|Stats at a Glance||VUL||NBY|
|3rd Down Conversions||2-14||6-11|
|4th Down Conversions||0-0||0-0|
|Passing (Comp-Att)||60 (11-23)||295 (25-30)|
|Rushing (Att)||22 (22)||185 (43)|
NEWBERRY – Newberry opens its 2017 home slate with a nonconference game against first-time opponent Virginia University of Lynchburg.
WHO: Virginia University of Lynchburg at Newberry
WHERE: Historic Setzler Field on the campus of Newberry College
WHEN: 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 16
RECORDS: VUL is 0-3 on the season. Newberry enters the game at 0-2.
LIVE VIDEO: www.newberrywolves.tv
LIVE STATS: www.newberrystats.com
LIVE AUDIO: www.newberrywolves.tv, WKDK-AM 1240 in Newberry County, www.wkdk.com, WKDK app, "WKDK" on TuneIn Radio app
WEATHER FORECAST: Partly cloudy with a high of 85 degrees. Winds will be light and variable. There is a 10 percent chance of rain.
THIS WEEK'S TOP STORYLINES
1. The football team is partnering with Columbia’s Harvest Hope Food Bank to collect donations for Hurricane Harvey relief. Preferred items include: pop top canned goods (soups, pastas, fruit, Spam, etc.), handheld can openers, peanut butter and jelly, water, snacks (cereal bars, Pop-Tarts, protein bars, etc.), baby food/formula, diapers (both adult and baby), feminine hygiene products, and toiletries (tooth paste, tooth brushes, shampoo, etc.). Members of the football team will be collecting donations from fans at all gates prior to Saturday’s game.
2. Newberry’s school record winning streaks of seven straight regular season road wins vs. non-Division I competition and 10 straight overall regular season wins vs. non-Division I schools were snapped in last week’s loss at Virginia Union.
3. The Virginia Union game was just the sixth time in the last 14 games that Joe Blue has not led Newberry in tackling and marked the first time in his career that Anfernee Moffett has led the Wolves.
4. Chance Walker is the reigning Special Teams Player of the Week from the South Atlantic Conference and Eastern College Athletic Conference. His 100-yard kickoff return touchdown at Virginia Union was the second time in the last 26 years and sixth time overall that a South Atlantic Conference player has returned a kickoff 100 yards or more for a touchdown. It broke Josh Pierce’s 17-year-old record for longest kick return in school history and was Newberry’s first kickoff return touchdown since Byron Dickerson scored on an 88-yard return vs. Carson-Newman in 2014.
5. Both of Newberry’s games this season have taken exactly three hours and 10 minutes.
6. Of the last 14 times Newberry has faced an opponent for the first time, Saturday will mark the 12th time the series opener has been played at Setzler Field.
7. Virginia University of Lynchburg has been outscored 512-108 over its last 10 games, including a 74-7 loss to Division III’s third-ranked team Wisconsin-Oshkosh last week.