|September 02, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|CIT||TD||07:14||Drakeford 29 Yd Run (Godek kick)|
|NBY||TD||10:30||Darius Clark 3 Yd Run (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|CIT||TD||01:28||Black 1 Yd Run (Godek kick)|
|CIT||TD||00:37||Jackson 74 Yd Run (Godek kick)|
|CIT||TD||07:22||LeBlanc 6 Yd Pass From Black (Godek kick)|
|NBY||TD||04:28||Chance Walker 26 Yd Pass From Nick Jones (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|CIT||FG||00:17||Godek 37 Yd|
|Stats at a Glance||NBY||CIT|
|3rd Down Conversions||3-10||8-16|
|4th Down Conversions||1-1||1-2|
|Passing (Comp-Att)||210 (16-29)||80 (6-13)|
|Rushing (Att)||66 (26)||374 (63)|
NEWBERRY – Newberry travels to Charleston Saturday night for its 41st all-time matchup with The Citadel and first since 1997. The Bulldogs have a 32-4-4 advantage in a series that began in 1914, Newberry's second season of intercollegiate football. The Wolves are seeking their first win over the Bulldogs since a 16-0 decision in 1958.
The Wolves have won nine of their last 20 games against Division I opponents dating to the 1994 season and have accumulated seven wins all-time in Charleston County spread between Porter, The Citadel, and Charleston Southern.
WHO: Newberry College at [FCS No. 12] The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina
WHERE: Johnson Hagood Stadium on the campus of The Citadel
WHEN: 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 2
RECORDS: Both teams are 0-0 on the season.
LIVE VIDEO: ESPN3
LIVE STATS: Stats
TELEVISION: 7 Communications [Affiliate List]
LIVE AUDIO: www.newberrywolves.tv, WKDK-AM 1240 in Newberry County, www.wkdk.com, WKDK app, "WKDK" on TuneIn smartphone app
TICKETS: $25 through Newberry ticket office, $30 day of game
WEATHER FORECAST: Partly cloudy with a high of 86 degrees cooling to 72 overnight with 80 percent humidity. Winds will be out of the south-southwest at 10 mph. There is a 50 percent chance of scattered thunderstorms.
THIS WEEK'S TOP STORYLINES
1. Newberry was picked to win the South Atlantic Conference for the first time in school history. Ten players were selected preseason all-SAC, including seven named to the first team.
2. Newberry is facing The Citadel for the first time since 1997. The Bulldogs lead the all-time series 32-4-4, with Newberry’s last win coming by a 16-0 score in 1958. The teams’ first meeting came in 1914, Newberry’s second season of intercollegiate football.
3. Newberry is 14-3 in its last 17 games, while The Citadel has gone 16-3 over its last 19.
4. The Wolves are 9-11 in their last 20 games against Division I opponents. Newberry’s most recent Division I win came over Morehead State (23-7) in 2006. The Wolves fell to Jacksonville 17-14 in Newberry two seasons ago in their last game against a Division I opponent.
5. Newberry has won a school-record seven consecutive regular season road games dating to a 52-14 win at Lenoir-Rhyne on Oct. 31, 2015. The previous record was six in a row in 1995 and 1996 that included wins over Division I opponents Wofford and Charleston Southern. Newberry also had a 3-0-4 road stretch from 1955 to 1957 that included two ties with The Citadel.
6. Markell Castle has over 100 receiving yards and exactly one touchdown in three straight games. He’s caught 13 passes for 345 yards and three scores in his last three contests.
7. Newberry outpassed and outgained every 2016 regular season opponent before being bested by Tuskegee in both categories in the postseason.
8. The Wolves became the 16th team in the 42-year history of the SAC to win the league championship with an undefeated conference record in 2016. It was the Wolves’ third SAC title and precipitated a third postseason appearance in four seasons.
9. A league-high 15 Wolves were named all-South Atlantic Conference last season, with nine players earning first-team selections. Todd Knight was named Coach of the Year.
For complete coverage, view game notes from the Newberry Athletic Communications staff, The Citadel's game notes, and the Southern Conference's Weekly Report. The South Atlantic Conference will begin producing weekly notes packages next week.