|November 12, 2016||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|WU||FG||03:37||Caleb Baird 22 Yd|
|WU||FG||14:11||Caleb Baird 25 Yd|
|WU||FG||03:46||Caleb Baird 20 Yd|
|NBY||TD||00:23||B. Staggers 16 Yd Pass From Nick Jones (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|WU||TD||12:20||Blake Hayes 1 Yd Run|
|NBY||TD||08:06||Markell Castle 19 Yd Pass From Nick Jones (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|WU||TD||03:17||Blake Hayes 26 Yd Run (Caleb Baird kick)|
|NBY||TD||07:17||Braxton Ivery 10 Yd Run|
|NBY||TD||04:45||Braxton Ivery 49 Yd Run (Shea Rodgers kick)|
|Stats at a Glance||WU||NBY|
|3rd Down Conversions||6-16||3-12|
|4th Down Conversions||0-2||0-1|
|Passing (Comp-Att)||142 (12-26)||242 (16-21)|
|Rushing (Att)||185 (44)||123 (32)|
NEWBERRY – Newberry has already clinched its third South Atlantic Conference championship, but can win the title outright and become the 16th team in conference history to win the title with a perfect league record by defeating Wingate in a nationally-televised game Saturday afternoon. The Wolves are currently ranked second in the Super Region and could clinch home-field advantage through the first two rounds of the NCAA Division II Football Championship if they can remain in the second slot.
WHO: Wingate University at No. 19 Newberry College
WHERE: Historic Setzler Field on the campus of Newberry College
WHEN: 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, November 12
RECORDS: Wingate is 8-2 with a 5-1 record in the South Atlantic Conference. Newberry enters the contest at 9-1 and a perfect 6-0 in the league.
TELEVISION: American Sports Network (affiliate list)
LIVE VIDEO: www.ncaa.com (free access, simulcast of American Sports Network broadcast)
LIVE AUDIO: www.newberrywolves.tv, WKDK-AM 1240 in Newberry County, www.wkdk.com, "WKDK" on TuneIn smartphone app
LIVE STATS: www.newberrystats.com
WEATHER FORECAST: Sunny with a high of 59 degrees and a low of 33 degrees. Winds will be out of the northeast at three miles per hour. There is no chance of rain.
• The Wolves will be wearing all-scarlet jerseys. Fans are asked to wear scarlet and help the team #PaintSetzlerScarlet.
• As part of Military Appreciation Day, active duty military personnel or veterans presenting a military ID or coming to the game in uniform will be admitted free of charge. Military personnel are asked to use Gates 1 and 2 (the gates facing the fountain) to enter Setzler Field.
• The bottom six rows of Sections E and F have been reserved for students.
• American Sports Network is promoting the game using the hashtag #WINvsNBY.
NEWS AND NOTES
• Newberry has already clinched a share of the South Atlantic Conference championship and will win the title outright with a victory. Wingate and Newberry would split the title with a Bulldogs’ win. Newberry won the outright championship in 2006 at 6-1 and shared the 2008 title with Tusculum and Carson-Newman at 5-2.
• Newberry is seeking to become the 16th team in the 42-year history of the conference to win the league championship with a perfect record.
• The Wolves are appearing on a national broadcast for the second time this season after playing Catawba as part of the Division II Football Showcase on ESPN3 Oct. 1. Newberry and defending national runner-up Shepherd are the only teams to be televised twice as part of the national Division II broadcast package.
• Newberry is ranked No. 2 in the latest Super Region 2 poll and would clinch home-field advantage in the first two rounds of the playoffs if that ranking holds. The Wolves would earn a first-round home game with a top-four regional finish.
• The Wolves are 18-11 all-time as a ranked team and enter Saturday at No. 19.
• Quarterback Raleigh Yeldell is currently Newberry’s single-season leader in passing yards (3,087), completions (260), and attempts (370). He needs two touchdown passes for sole possession of first in that category as well, currently held by Josh Stepp’s 28 in 2006.
• Yeldell is eighth in SAC history with 3,418 yards of total offense this season and could end the day in sixth place with 423 yards Saturday.
• Markell Castle is currently ninth in single-season receiving yardage (758) but could land as high as third with 82 yards against the Bulldogs.
• Cole Watson has 1,378 receiving yards in his career, 18 shy of matching Charles Brandon for 10th in school history.
• Newberry can tie a school record with its 10th straight win Saturday and could extend another school record with its 10th straight conference win.
• The Wolves lead the nation in punt return defense (0.75 yards per return), rank second in first downs (272), fifth in third down conversions (.519) 12th in both passing offense (309.0 ypg) and passing defense (164.0), 19th in total defense (305.4), and 21st in scoring defense (18.4 ppg).
• Wingate is ninth nationally in total defense at 276.7 yards per game.
For complete coverage, view game notes from the Newberry Athletic Communications staff and the South Atlantic Conference's Weekly Report. This article will be updated with a link to Wingate's game preview when it is published.