|October 25, 2014||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|UNCP||TD||08:38||Owen 10 Yd Run (Haskins missed kick)|
|NBY||TD||00:56||Irwin (Clark kick)|
|NBY||FG||06:00||Clark 30 Yd|
|NBY||FG||03:03||Clark 31 Yd|
|Stats at a Glance||NBY||UNCP|
|3rd Down Conversions||5-17||4-15|
|4th Down Conversions||2-2||2-3|
|Passing (Comp-Att)||96 (13-22)||129 (17-31)|
|Rushing (Att)||141 (44)||61 (31)|
PEMBROKE, N.C. - An 85-yard interception return from Sharon Irwin and a pair of Kyle Clark field goals were the only points the Newberry Wolves would need in a 13-6 victory over the UNC Pembroke Braves at Grace P. Johnson Stadium on Saturday.
Newberry moves to 3-5 on the year with the win, while UNCP is now 1-6. Newberry travels to Brevard next weekend.
Both offenses struggled throughout the game, but the Braves scored first on a 10-yard carry by quarterback Seth Owen thanks to outstanding field position and various Newberry penalties. The 42-yard drive that ended after nearly five minutes was the Braves' longest drive until the end of the game.
Newberry scuffled offensively as well though, but the defense made plays when needed. Trailing by six, a fumble gave the Braves the ball at the Newberry 8-yardline. A rush for a loss, an offensive pass interference penalty and a sack had UNCP staring at third-and-goal from their own 42-yardline when Irwin snagged the ball at the 15-yardline, picked up key blocks and sprinted for the touchdown. Clark's PAT was good to give the Wolves the 7-6 lead.
Clark would put Newberry up 10-6 at halftime with a 30-yard field goal with six minutes remaining in the half.
Newberry was able to sustain drives in the second half, but the only points for either team came on Clark's 31-yard field goal with 3:03 left in the third quarter.
UNCP finally had an extended drive mid-way through the fourth quarter thanks to a pair of fourth down conversions, but their third chance at a conversion was broken up by Edmond Robinson, ending the Braves' threat with 5:37 to play.
The Newberry offense converted on third down twice, as well as a late fourth down, milking the final seconds off the clock and securing the win.
PLAY OF THE GAME
Sharon Irwin's 85-yard interception return was the only touchdown for the Wolves, and also provided the final scoring margin.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Newberry allowed only 190 yards of offense to the Braves.
- UNCP's 11 drives between its first and last drives accounted for 66 yards of offense on 39 plays.
- A.J. Booker, Edmond Robinson and Jalen Hunter led Newberry with six tackles apiece.
- Newberry had eight tackles for loss, led by Alstevis Squirewell, who had 2.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks.
- Raleigh Yeldell got the start at quarterback and was the Wolves' leading rusher with 21 carries for 71 yards. He also completed 8-of-13 passes for45 yards.
- Kyle Clark punted seven times for an average of 42.0 yards, with a long punt of 63. He had three punts end inside the Braves' 20.
Newberry travels back to the mountains of western North Carolina, playing Brevard (0-7) at Brevard HS' Memorial Stadium at 1 p.m. on Saturday, November 1.