|September 13, 2014||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|LC||TD||06:37||Merriweather 6 Yd Run (Ray kick)|
|NBY||TD||13:52||Edmunds 29 Yd Pass From Murden (Clark kick)|
|NBY||TD||00:35||Cook 32 Yd Pass From Murden (Clark kick)|
|NBY||TD||10:42||Murden 13 Yd Run (Clark kick)|
|LC||TD||06:19||Harkness 41 Yd Run (Ray missed kick)|
|NBY||TD||04:56||Murden 11 Yd Run (Clark kick)|
|NBY||TD||02:16||Elmore 2 Yd Run (Clark kick)|
|NBY||TD||01:31||Edmunds 16 Yd Pass From Blair (Foster kick)|
|NBY||TD||13:10||Doctor 2 Yd Run (Foster kick)|
|NBY||TD||08:36||Doctor 2 Yd Run (Foster kick)|
|NBY||TD||06:14||Staggers 18 Yd Run (Foster kick)|
|LC||TD||03:38||Merriweather 25 Yd Run (Ray kick)|
|NBY||TD||00:34||Miller 8 Yd Run (Clark kick)|
|Stats at a Glance||LC||NBY|
|3rd Down Conversions||3-15||5-14|
|4th Down Conversions||1-2||4-4|
|Passing (Comp-Att)||150 (21-37)||187 (16-30)|
|Rushing (Att)||201 (42)||309 (51)|
• Newberry College is in its 101st season of intercollegiate football.
• Today’s game marks the 982nd game in school history, with Newberry carrying an all-time record of 405-540-36 (.431)
• The Wolves are receiving votes in the AFCA poll. Limestone is not receiving votes in any polls.
• The teams share Wingate, North Greenville and UNC Pembroke as common opponents.
• Newberry is proud of its Lutheran heritage and has designated today’s game as Lutheran Day, with groups from all over the state slated to attend. They will be recognized throughout the game.
• It is also First Responders Day. Those who serve in dangerous situations in our community will receive free admission along with a guest. They will be recognized throughout the game.
• Finally, it is Hall of Fame Day, with the six inductees to the 2014 class recognized at halftime. Read more about the inductees later in these notes.
• Newberry will provide a free video stream - both live and archived - at www.NewberryWolves.tv
• Live statistics will be available at www.NewberryStats.com
• WKDK-AM 1240 will broadcast all Newberry football games live
THE LIMESTONE... uh... SERIES?
• As this is Limestone’s first season of intercollegiate football, and only its second game, there is obviously no history between the two team.
• The two schools’ volleyball teams will play in Aiken on Friday.
• The series will evolve, as beginning in 2015, Limestone is set to take North Greenville’s place in a scheduling alliance with the South Atlantic Conference schools.
• Newberry is set to host Limestone in 2015 and 2017, with the Wolves traveling to Gaffney in 2018.
• Only one player on Newberry’s squad is from Gaffney this season - freshman DB Avery Shippy, who is not on the dress list this week.
• Longtime Newberry wrestling assistant coach and head cross country coach Kelly Revells was hired as Limestone’s head wrestling coach this summer.
• Newberry is slated to wrestle against Limestone on Jan. 21, 2015.
• Former Newberry assistant softball coach Amy Yates is the Saints’ head coach. She has former Newberry head coach Joe Elston on staff as a volunteer assistant coach.
• Newberry and Limestone are rivals in the new ECAC Field Hockey Conference and opened the season against each other last week. Newberry hosts the Saints again on Nov. 5 before traveling to Gaffney from the conference tournament the next weekend.
NEWBERRY: Todd Knight (Gardner-Webb, 1989) is in his sixth season as Newberry’s head coach. He has a 28-26 record and a record of 5-3 against teams ranked in the AFCA Divsion II Top 25. He has an 18-16 record against the South Atlantic Conference. In 2009, Knight led Newberry to a 6-4 record and became the first Newberry head coach to record a winning record in his inaugural season since Reed Charpia in 1978. In 2010, Knight led Newberry to a 4-6 record, as well as the 2011 season. The Wolves went 5-6 overall in the 2012 season and achieved a ranking as high as No. 25 nationally. In 2013, he led the Wolves to a 9-3 overall record, making the school’s second appearance in the NCAA Division II playoffs. Newberry finished the season ranked No. 23 nationally.
LIMESTONE: Bobby James (Bloomsburg, 1995) is in his first season as a head coach at any level and is 0-1 after the loss to Wingate in the program opener. He was previously the defensive coordinator at Wingate for five seasons.
UP NEXT: CATAWBA
• Newberry hosts Catawba College next Saturday, September 20, at 6 p.m.
• The game will be the 77th meeting between the long-time rivals.
• It is also this season’s South Atlantic Conference opener for both teams.
• The game is designated as Family Weekend, as the scarlet and gray also host home games in field hockey, volleyball, women’s soccer and men’s soccer that weekend.
HOME SWEET HOME
• Of the 97 players listed on the roster, the vast majority hail from the Palmetto State.
South Carolina.............................. 86
New York....................................... 1
ROLL OVER THE ODOMETER
• Newberry quarterback W.T. Murden became just the fourth trigger man in school history to pass for over 5,000 yards in a career with his 174 yards at CSU.
• He now has 5,072 yards passing.
• He ranks third in school history in completions and touchdowns and is fourth in attempts and yardage.
• Jackson Swindler scored Newberry’s first touchdown of the season with his 62-yard score in the fourth quarter of the CSU game.
• He is the first player who is a native of Newberry to score a touchdown for Newberry College since Roderick Elkins returned an interception for the game winning touchdown at West Virginia Wesleyan on Sept. 23, 2000.
This is a span of 128 games
• The last Newberry local to score an offensive touchdown was Trokya Bates, who had a TD reception in the Nov. 14, 1998 Bronze Derby game, a 45-14 loss at Presbyterian.
This is a span of 143 games
• Newberry native Joseph Foster kicked a PAT in the home finale against North Greenville last season.
• Both players have an interesting Newberry connection, as Swindler is the son of recently retired City of Newberry police chief Jackie Swindler and Foster is the son of Newberry County Sheriff Lee Foster.