|March 26, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Marshall Rentz (1-0)||2.2||0||0||0||0||1|
|Loss: Tyler Brown (3-1)||4.0||7||4||4||0||2|
|Shane Billings (WU)||5||2||2||0||0||0|
|Bradley Brown (WU)||2||2||2||2||2||1|
|Zach Little (WU)||4||1||2||0||0||0|
|Daymon Totherow (NBY)||5||3||4||3||0||0|
|March 26, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Win: Zack Kelly (5-2)||7.0||6||3||2||3||2|
|Loss: Hunter Morgan (1-2)||2.0||5||2||2||0||1|
|Colby Barnette (WU)||4||1||2||0||0||0|
|Michael Gonzalez (NBY)||3||1||2||1||1||0|
|Jeff Sneed (NBY)||3||1||2||1||0||0|
|Danton Hyman (NBY)||3||0||2||1||0||0|
NEWBERRY- The Newberry College baseball team took their second conference sweep of the season against Wingate, this weekend. The Wolves defeated the Bulldogs of Wingate University today by the scores of 17-6 and 5-3, respectively.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Derek Olenchuk (Irmo, S.C.), Daymon Totherow (Danville, Va.) and Michael Gonzalez (Wilsonville, Ore.) scored three runs each while Tommy Passerello (Davenport, Fla.) and Jeff Sneed (Cumming, Ga.) scored two runs each.
- Jacob Bass (North Augusta, S.C.), Trejon Smith (Fredricksburg, Va.), Robert Kosch (Clemson, S.C.) and Danton Hyman (Prosperity, S.C.) contributed one run each to the win.
- As a team the Wolves drove in 14 with Sneed and Totherow driving in three each.
- Mike DeLee (Dorchester, S.C.) got the start logging 6.1 innings. DeLee gave up 10 hits and five runs while tallying six strikeouts. Charlie Fessler (Summerville, S.C.) gave up two hits and one run while Marshall Rentz (Charleston, S.C.) got his first win of his career in 2.2 innings on the bump, tallying one strikeout.
- Bass, Gonzalez, Olenchuk, Sneed and Totherow scored one run each for the win.
- Bass, Gonzalez, Hyman, Sneed, and Olenchuk drove one run in each.
- Zack Kelly (Daleville, Va.) improved to 5-2 on the hill, pitching seven full innings today. Kelly gave up six hits and three runs, and tallied two strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Wingate tacked one run on the board in the first with Billings scoring on Krebs’ double to right field.
Newberry answered in the bottom of the third with five runs. Totherow scored the first one on a throwing error by Wingate’s catcher. Passerello then scored on Gonzalez’s triple to right field before Gonzalez crossed home plate on Smith’s double to left center. Smith scored the second to last run of the third inning when Olenchuk reached first on a throwing error made by the shortstop. Sneed ended the third inning sending Olenchuk home on a single to right center.
The score was stuck at 5-1 until the sixth inning when the Bulldogs scored two runs with Little and Brown scoring one each.
Totherow scored Newberry’s lone run in the bottom of the sixth when Bass singled to right center.
Newberry increased its lead in the seventh inning with three runs. Gonzalez, Olenchuk and Sneed all scored one run each off singles.
The Wolves sealed their win in the bottom of the eighth with eight runs scored. Gonzalez started it off when he crossed home on Sneed’s single to left center. Olenchuk and Sneed both scored on Kosch’s single through the right side before Kosch and Hyman was sent home on Totherow’s triple to right center. Bass then singled up the middle sending Totherow home before Bass scored on a Nolan Schrenker (Valrico, Fla.) single. Passerello ended the scoring for Newberry when he crossed home plate on a wild pitch.
The scoreboard was held at 0-0 until the third inning when Wingate tacked two runs on the board.
Newberry answered quickly again in the bottom of the third with two runs. Totherow scored the first run on a wild pitch and Bass scored the second run on Gonzalez’s single to center field.
Newberry increased its lead in the fourth to 3-2 when Sneed scored on Bass’s ground out to second base.
Wingate tied the game at 3-3 in the fifth when Billings scored on Little’s single through the right side.
Newberry took the sweep in the fifth inning with two runs, making the score 5-3. Gonzalez scored on Olenchuk’s single up the middle before Hyman doubled to left field to send Olenchuk home.
The Wolves travel to Georgia on Tuesday, March 29 to play Georgia College at 4 p.m.