|March 12, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Landon Whitson (3-1)||6.2||8||1||1||1||2|
|Loss: Zack Kelly (3-2)||5.1||4||7||7||6||1|
|Derek Olenchuk (NC)||4||1||2||0||1||0|
|Trejon Smith (NC)||5||1||2||0||0||0|
|Robert Kosch (NC)||3||0||2||1||1||0|
|Jacob Bass (NC)||2||0||2||2||2||0|
|Justin Dean (LR)||5||1||2||6||0||1|
|Matthew De La Rosa (LR)||3||1||2||0||1||0|
|March 12, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Win: Mike DeLee (5-0)||5.0||4||1||1||2||3|
|Loss: Thomas St. Clair (1-2)||1.1||4||5||5||2||0|
|Jacob Bass (NC)||2||2||2||1||2||0|
|Jeff Sneed (NC)||3||2||2||4||0||2|
|Matthew De La Rosa (LR)||2||0||2||1||1||0|
HICKORY, N.C.- The Newberry College baseball team dropped to the Bears of Lenoir-Rhyne 9-5 in the second game of the series before bouncing back and winning the last game 10-1, on Saturday.
The Wolves are now 17-8-1 overall and 4-5 in the South Atlantic Conference.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
Game 1 (L, 9-5)
- Michael Gonzalez (Wilsonville, Ore.), Derek Olenchuk (Irmo, S.C.), Trejon Smith (Fredricksburg, Va.), Jeff Sneed (Cumming, Ga.), Tommy Passerello (Davenport, Fla.) all scored one run each.
- Jacob Bass (North Augusta, S.C.) drove two in runners while Robert Kosch (Clemson, S.C.) and Passerello drove in one each.
- Zack Kelly (Daleville, Va.) got the start and the loss on the hill for the Wolves logging 5.1 innings. Kelly gave up four hits and seven runs and tallied one strikeout. Robert Westenrieder (Taylors, S.C.) logged 2.1 innings, giving up four hits and two runs and tallying three strikeouts.
Game 2 (W,10-1)
Sneed finished with two runs scored and drove in four while going 2-for-3 at the plate while Bass finished 2-for-2 at the plate with two runs. Gonzalez scored two runs while JoJo Bradley (Spartanburg, S.C.), Olenchuk, Kosch, and Daymon Totherow (Danville, Va.) all scored one run each.
- Mike DeLee (Dorchester, S.C.) was tagged with the win, throwing five full innings. DeLee gave up one run and four hits and tallied three strikeouts. Charlie Fessler (Summerville, S.C.) logged one inning, giving up one hit and tallying two strikeouts.
- Austin Walker (Charleston, S.C.) tallied one strikeout in 0.2 innings pitched while Marshall Rentz (Charleston, S.C.) tallied one strikeout in 0.1 innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Bears set the place early in the second inning with a grand slam by Justin Dean. The grand slam to left center scored Justin Lara, Zack Shoemaker and Ryan Perkins for a 4-0 lead.
Lenoir-Rhyne scored three more runs in the sixth inning for a 7-0 lead. Cole Fowler doubled to left center sending Shoemaker, Marcus Shoemaker and Matthew De La Rosa home.
The Wolves got on the board in the seventh with one run scored by Gonzalez when Bass singled to left center.
The Wolves scored their last runs of the game with four in the eighth inning. Olenchuk and Smith scored when Passerello reached first base on a fielder’s choice. Sneed was then sent home when Kosch was walked before Passerello was sent home when Bass was walked.
The Bears took the win in the eighth inning when Justin Dean singled through the left side sending Grant Fuller and Justin Lara home for the 9-5 win.
Newberry got off to a hot start in the first inning when Sneed crushed a ball over the left field fence for a three-run homer. Sneed scored Olenchuk and Bass on the home run for a 3-0 lead.
Totherow hit the Wolves’ second home run of the game in the bottom of the second scoring Gonzalez.
Newberry posted five runs in the top of the third inning with Sneed leading off tallying his second home run of the game, driving the ball over left field. Kosch then tripled down the right field line scoring Gonzalez before Bass singled to right field scoring Kosch. Smith ended the third inning for Newberry with a single to right center sending Bradley and Bass home.
The last run that was scored for the game was from Lenoir Rhyne in the sixth when Fuller scored on De La Rosa's double up the middle.
The Wolves host Erskine for a non-conference single game on Tuesday, March 15 at 6 p.m.