TIGERVILLE – The Newberry College baseball team is on the road to Tigerville to play the Crusaders of North Greenville on Wednesday, March 9. Game time of the non-conference matchup is set for 6:00 p.m.
Live Stats: http://ngcrusaders.athleticsite.net/livestats/bb/xlive.htm
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE WOLVES
Newberry was swept by Lincoln Memorial this past weekend by the scores of 12-7, 6-0 and 6-2, respectively. With the losses the Wolves are now 14-7-1 overall and 2-4 in the South Atlantic Conference.
- Jeff Sneed (Cumming, Ga.) led the offensive going 3-for-4 at the plate and scoring two runs. Derek Olenchuk (Irmo, S.C.) also scored two runs while driving in two. Daymon Totherow (Danville, Va.), Michael Gonzalez (Wilsonville, Ore.) and Bradley Nichols (Winter Springs, Fla.) all scored one run apiece for Newberry.
- Daniel Nations (Central, S.C.) started for the Wolves on the mound, throwing six full innings. Nations gave up four hits and one run, while tallying five strikeouts. Cody Ezzell (Greensboro, N.C.) took the loss for the Wolves pitching 0.1 innings, giving up two runs and two hits.
-Trejon Smith (Fredricksburg, Va.) led the Wolves at the plate going 2-for-4 while Daymon Totherow (Danville, Va.) went 1-for-3.
- Zack Kelly (Daleville, Va.) took the loss for Newberry pitching 6.0 innings. Kelly gave up six hits and one run while tallying four strikeouts. Tyler Fuhr (Anderson, S.C.) ended the game for Newberry pitching 1.1 innings, giving up three hits.
- Danton Hyman (Prosperity, S.C.) went 4-for-4 at the plate and scored one run while Tommy Passerello (Davenport, Fla.) went 1-for-3 and scored one run. Smith and JoJo Bradley (Spartanburg, S.C.) both drove in one run each for the Wolves.
- Hunter Hill (Little Mountain, S.C.) logged 5.1 innings on the bump, giving up seven hits and six runs. Hill tallied the loss and one strikeout. Marshall Rentz (Charleston, S.C.) pitched 1.2 innings and gave up three hits, while tallying two strikeouts.
LAST MEETING WITH NORTH GREENVILLE
Last season the Wolves fell to the Crusaders 8-5. The Wolves left 11 runners on base while struggling to get a hit with runners in scoring position as they only mustered two hits in 14 chances throughout the game.
Robert Westenrieder (Taylors, S.C.) was tagged with the first loss of his career after surrendering seven runs, six earned, on six hits in two innings of work. The southpaw tallied three strikeouts and walked one.
Robert Kosch (Clemson, S.C.) led the Wolves offensively as he tallied two hits in three trips to the plate. Bradley drove in three runs while Ben Herring (Hopkins, S.C.) scored and drove in a pair. Albert Baur picked up his South Atlantic Conference leading 10th double of the season with his only hit of the day.
SCOUTING NORTH GREENVILLE
The Crusaders swept Southern Wesleyan this past weekend by the scores of 18-3 and 14-6.
In game one, Hunter Dilworth improved to 3-2 on the season as he earned the win on the mound for NGU. Dilworth pitched seven innings and allowed just one run on eight hits. He also had a season high eight strikeouts in the win. Andrew Frazier who was 2-5 with two runs scored and a team high two RBI. Mitchell Painter was 2-4 with two runs scored while Bennette Hill was 2-6 with an RBI and a run. Josh Black also stayed hot as he finished the day 2-4 with a run and an RBI.
In game two, Nathaniel Maggio finished 3-3 with four RBI and three runs scored. Bennette Hill had three RBI and was 1-4 while Jessep Polk and Josh Black had two RBI each.
In game three, Matt Laurens was credited with the game two win after pitching 2.1 innings, allowing two runs on three hits. David Houser led the team as he was 2-2 with three RBI. Houser was also given four free passes by SWU pitching. Mitchell Painter was 2-4 with four RBI while Foley George finished 2-4 with an RBI and two runs scored.
The team is on the road again on Friday, March 11 for a weekend series against Lenoir-Rhyne. The single game will be played at 6 p.m. on Friday followed by a doubleheader on Saturday with a start time of 1 p.m.