|February 28, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||R||H||E|
|Win: Cody Ezzell (1-0)||2.2||0||0||0||1||2|
|Loss: B.Blanton (0-1)||1.0||1||2||2||0||0|
|JoJo Bradley (NBY)||5||1||2||2||0||1|
|Derek Olenchuk (NBY)||3||2||2||0||2||0|
|Daymon Totherow (NBY)||4||1||2||3||1||1|
SALISBURY, N.C.- The Newberry College baseball team downed the Indians of Catawba College 9-7, on Sunday afternoon in 10 innings of play. The Wolves are now 13-4-1 overall and 2-1 in the South Atlantic Conference.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Derek Olenchuk led the offense today going 2-for-3 at the plate while scoring two runs. Daymon Totherow drove three in, scored one run and went 2-for-4 at the plate.
- Jeff Sneed scored two runs while going 1-for-3 at the plate and driving in one.
- Robert Kosch, JoJo Bradley, Michael Gonzalez, and Nolan Schrenker all scored one run each for the win. Bradley also drove in two while Kosch drove in one.
- Hunter Hill got the start for Newberry on the mound, pitching 4.1 innings. Hill gave up six hits and five runs while tallying three strikeouts.
- Mike DeLee recorded 1.2 innings on the bump tallying two strikeouts while Charlie Fessler pitched 1.1 innings giving up three hits and two runs. Cody Ezzell worked hard for win, pitching 2.2 innings giving up no hits or runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Wolves scored their first four runs in the top of the first inning from two home runs. Bradley hit the first homer of the day to right field before Totherow hit a three-run homer to right center field. Totherow’s bomb sent Sneed and Olenchuk home for an early 4-0 lead.
Catawba answered back quickly with just one run in the bottom of the first when Setzer scored on a wild pitch.
Newberry was quiet on the offensive side scoring just one run in the second inning. Kosch scored the run when Bradley doubled down the left field line giving Newberry a 5-1 lead.
Scoring was quiet again on both ends until the bottom of the fourth when Catawba scored two runs cutting Newberry’s lead to 5-3. Albertson sent the ball over the left field fence before Bowden doubled down the left field line sending Laws home.
Catawba tied the game at 5-5 in the bottom of the fifth inning when Kimble homered to right field scoring Simpson.
Sneed scored the lone run in the sixth when he homered down the left field line to give Newberry a 6-5 lead.
Catawba took the lead (7-6) in the bottom of the seventh by tacking two runs on the board. Kimble hit another homer to center field scoring Setzer.
Smith hit a sac fly to left field sending Schrenker home to tie the score at 7-7 in the top of the ninth.
The game was stuck at 7-7 leaving the bottom of the ninth inning sending the game into extra innings. The Wolves sealed their win in the top of the tenth when they scored two runs. Gonzalez scored on a wild pitch advancing Olenchuk to third before Olenchuk crossed home plate off Kosch’s sac fly to left field.
Newberry welcomes Augusta into town on Tuesday, March 1 for a single non-conference game starting at 6 p.m.