|February 27, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Daniel Nations (3-0)||5.1||7||3||2||4||2|
|Loss: S.Shepard (2-2)||6.0||11||11||11||4||8|
|Trejon Smith (NBY)||4||3||3||1||1||0|
|Derek Olenchuk (NBY)||4||3||3||8||0||3|
|February 27, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||R||H||E|
|Win: R.Weiker (3-1)||8.0||6||1||1||2||8|
|Loss: Robert Westenrieder (2-1)||0.2||1||3||2||0||2|
|Michael Gonzalez (NBY)||3||0||2||0||0||0|
|Daymon Totherow (NBY)||3||0||2||0||0||0|
SALISBURY, N.C.- The Newberry College baseball team split their South Atlantic Conference opener against Catawba, winning 11-5 and losing 4-1, in Saturday’s afternoon doubleheader.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Derek Olenchuk (Irmo, S.C.) had a stellar first game going 3-for-4 at the plate, scoring three runs and sending eight in. Trejon Smith (Fredricksburg, Va.) also scored three runs and went 3-for-4 at the plate.
- JoJo Bradley (Spartanburg, S.C.) and Michael Gonzalez (Wilsonville, Ore.) scored two runs each while Jeff Sneed (Cumming, Ga.) scored one run for the win.
- Daniel Nations (Central, S.C.) received the win for Newberry on the bump, pitching 5.1 innings. Nations gave up seven hits and three runs and tallied two strikeouts. Mike DeLee (Dorchester, S.C.) pitched 1.2 innings, giving up two hits and tallying four strikeouts.
- Tyler Fuhr (Anderson, S.C.) and Charlie Fessler (Summerville, S.C.) both pitched one full inning each while Fuhr gave up three hits and two runs.
- Bradley scored the lone run for Newberry while going 1-for-3 at the plate. Daymon Totherow (Danville, Va.) went 2-for-3 at the plate while Olenchuk went 1-for-3 and drove in one.
- Zack Kelly (Daleville, Va.) got the start for Newberry pitching 6.2 innings. Kelly gave up one run and five hits, tallying seven strikeouts.
- Robert Westenrieder (Taylors, S.C.) took the loss for Newberry on the mound, pitching 0.2 innings. Westenrieder gave up three runs and one hit and tallied two strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Wolves started the game off hot by scoring three runs in the top of the first inning. Olenchuk put all the runs on the board from his three-run homer to center field scoring Smith and Bradley.
Catawba got on the board with Grayland Fowler scoring on Luke Setzer’s single to right center to cut Newberry’s lead to 3-1.
Newberry increased its lead to 4-1 in the third inning when Bradley was sent home after Sneed walked. Newberry scored three more run in the fifth inning for a 7-1 lead. Smith started the scoring off in the fifth with a triple down the right field line sending Gonzalez home. Olenchuk then tacked his second homer of the day after he hit a bomb over the right field fence sending Smith home.
Catawba scored two runs in the sixth with Fowler hitting homer to left field sending Chance Bowden home.
Newberry scored its last four runs of the game in the seventh inning taking the 11-5 win. Olenchuk tallied his third and final homer of the game sending Smith and Gonzalez home. Sneed scored the Wolves last run of the game when Robert Kosch (Clemson, S.C.) singled to right field.
The Wolves took an early 1-0 lead in the first inning when Bradley crossed home plate off Olenchuk’s single to left field.
Catawba tied the game at 1-1 in the third inning with Fowler scoring on Setzer’s single.
Scoring was quiet from both sides until the eighth inning when Catawba scored three runs. Almond homered down the right field line scoring Bowden and Richardson for the 4-1 win.
The Wolves end their series with Catawba on Sunday at 1 p.m. for a single game. They then are home on Tuesday, March 1 when they host Augusta for a single game starting at 6 p.m.