|February 23, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Sam Linn (2-0)||5.0||11||5||4||3||5|
|Loss: Danton Hyman (0-2)||3.0||7||5||5||1||3|
|Colby Lusignan (LU)||4||2||3||2||2||0|
|Taylor Kellner (LU)||5||1||3||1||0||0|
|Mason Dodd (LU)||4||3||3||0||1||0|
|Jordan Curtis (LU)||5||1||3||2||0||0|
|JoJo Bradley (NBY)||4||0||3||1||2||0|
|Daymon Totherow (NBY)||5||2||3||0||0||0|
NEWBERRY – The Newberry College baseball team hosts the Bearcats of Lander University in non-conference play on Tuesday, February 23. The single game will start at 4 p.m.
WOLVES IN THE RANKINGS
The Wolves made history today after being ranked 20th in the Collegiate Baseball NCAA Division II Poll, announced Monday. The ranking is the first time Newberry has ever been placed on the poll.
The team was also placed in the third spot in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) Southeast Region Poll, as announced Monday.
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE WOLVES
The team defeated Davis & Elkins in both games, 10-0 and 6-3, in Saturday’s afternoon doubleheader.
First Game (10-0)
- Derek Olenchuk (Irmo, S.C.) went 2-for-3 at the plate, scoring two runs while Robert Kosch (Clemson, S.C.) went 2-for-4 and scored two runs and also drove in two.
- Trejon Smith (Fredricksburg, Va.) scored two runs and drove in one while Jacob Bass (North Augusta, S.C.) scored two runs.
- Nolan Schrenker (Valrico, Fla.) and JoJo Bradley (Spartanburg, S.C.) both scored one run each and drove in two each.
- Zack Kelly (Daleville, Va.) took the win for Newberry, throwing five full innings on the bump. Kelly gave up three hits and no runs, while tallying three strikeouts. Austin Walker (Charleston, S.C) tossed one inning and tacked one strikeout.
- Charlie Fessler (Summerville, S.C.) pitched two innings giving up two hits while Tyler Fuhr (Anderson, S.C) tossed one inning, tallying one strikeout.
Second Game (6-3)
- Olenchuk scored one run and drove in two while going 2-for-3 at the plate. Sam Jones (Greer, S.C.) went 3-for-3 at the plate while Kosch went 2-for-3 and scored one run.
- Schrenker, Michael Gonzalez (Wilsonville, Ore.), Smith and Daymon Totherow (Danville, Va.) all scored one run each for the win.
- Hunter Hill (Little Mountain, S.C.) logged five innings on the bump, receiving the win. Hill tallied five strikeouts while giving up two runs and four hits. Cody Ezzell (Greensboro, N.C.) tossed two innings, giving up one run and two hits.
LAST MEETING WITH LANDER
Last season, the Wolves suffered their second walkoff defeat of the season as the Lander Bearcats picked up an RBI double to the left center gap to take a 3-2 victory.
Newberry tallied five hits and the Bearcats picked up seven, two in the bottom half of the ninth. D.J. Martinez led the Wolves offensively going 2-for-3 at the plate with a pair of doubles, a run scored and a run batted in. Kosch also tallied a pair of hits and five plate appearances while scoring a run. Bradley picked up the fifth hit in the ball game.
Robert Westenrieder (Taylors, S.C.) got the start on the mound for Newberry, going four and two-thirds innings, scattering five hits and allowing two runs. The freshman southpaw also totaled four strikeouts and as many walks. Mike DeLee (Dorchester, S.C.) tossed 3.1 innings of scoreless and hitless relief, striking out four and giving up three walks. Daniel Nations (Central, S.C.) was tagged with his first loss on the year after one-third of an inning, dropping him to 1-1 on the season.
The No. 26 Lander baseball team suffered its third straight defeat Sunday when the Bearcats dropped an 8-4 decision to No. 24 USC Aiken in a Peach Belt Conference game at Roberto Hernandez Stadium.
Lander's JD Waite (2-1) took the loss with three strikeouts, one walk and five earned runs on six hits in 1.2 innings.
The Pacers did most of their damage early by scoring two runs in the first inning and five in the second. Zach Moon's two-run homer gave USCA a 2-0 lead in the first, then Chaz Pal added a three-run shot in the second to go along with RBI doubles by Mitchell Price and Moon.
Lander cut the margin to 7-4 on Thomas Berry's two-run homer in the fifth, then added two more runs in the sixth on Matt White's solo home run andTaylor Kellner's RBI single that plated Colby Lusignan.
For Lander, Lusignan batted 4-for-5, Mason Dodd 3-for-4, Berry 2-for-3 and Reed Gray 2-for-5.
Newberry is on the road against Catawba for a weekend series starting on Friday, February 26 at 6 p.m.