|February 20, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Davis & Elkins||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||5||2|
|Win: Zack Kelly (3-0)||5.0||3||0||0||5||3|
|Loss: Main (0-1)||6.0||7||6||6||6||2|
|Derek Olenchuk (NBY)||3||2||2||0||1||0|
|Robert Kosch (NBY)||4||2||2||2||0||0|
|February 20, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Davis & Elkins||0||0||1||0||1||0||1||3||6||0|
|Win: Hunter Hill (1-1)||5.0||4||2||1||2||5|
|Loss: Honeycutt (0-2)||4.0||9||4||4||4||4|
|Sam Jones (NBY)||3||0||3||0||0||0|
NEWBERRY- The Newberry College baseball team defeated Davis & Elkins in both games, 10-0 and 6-3, in Saturday’s afternoon doubleheader.
With the sweep, the Wolves improve to 11-2-1 while Davis & Elkins drops to 0-6.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Derek Olenchuk went 2-for-3 at the plate, scoring two runs while Robert Kosch went 2-for-4 and scored two runs and also drove in two.
- Trejon Smith scored two runs and drove in one while Jacob Bass scored two runs.
- Nolan Schrenker and JoJo Bradley both scored one run each and drove in two each.
- Zack Kelly took the win for Newberry, throwing five full innings on the bump. Kelly gave up three hits and no runs, while tallying three strikeouts. Austin Walker tossed one inning and tacked one strikeout.
- Charlie Fessler pitched two innings giving up two hits while Tyler Fuhr tossed one inning, tallying one strikeout.
- Olenchuk scored one run and drove in two while going 2-for-3 at the plate. Sam Jones went 3-for-3 at the plate while Kosch went 2-for-3 and scored one run.
- Schrenker, Michael Gonzalez, Smith and Daymon Totherow all scored one run each for the win.
- Hunter Hill logged five innings on the bump, receiving the win. Hill tallied five strikeouts while giving up two runs and four hits. Cody Ezzell tossed two innings, giving up one run and two hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Wolves scored their first four runs of the game in the second inning with Smith scoring the first one. Sneed grounded out to shortstop to send Smith home for an early 1-0 lead. Olenchuk tacked the second run on the board when he scored on Danton Hyman’s groundout to the Senators’ shortstop. Kosch and Bass scored the last two runs in the second when Bradley singled to left center.
Newberry score two more runs in the fourth inning to make the score 6-0. Gonzalez singled to right field driving in Schrenker followed Bradley scoring on Smith’s ground out.
The Wolves scored the last four runs of the game in the bottom of the seventh inning to take the 10-0. Kosch singled to center field sending Olenchuk and Smith home to make the score 8-0. Kosch and Bass then scored when Schrenker singled down the left field line.
Davis & Elkins got on the board first when Travis Phelps scored off a throwing error made by Newberry.
The Wolves took a 4-1 lead in the third inning by scoring four runs. Smith and Gonzalez both scored when Olenchuk tripled to center field. Olenchuk crossed home plate when Totherow doubled down the left field line for a 3-1 lead. Totherow was then sent home on Bass singled to the shortstop.
The Senators got back on the board in the top of the fifth inning with one run. Tyler Mason scored on Phelps‘ double to left center.
Newberry sealed the win in the fifth inning when they scored two runs in the same play. Bradley tripled to right field sending Schrenker and Kosch home.
The Wolves are home on Tuesday, February 23 when they host Lander for a single game at 6 p.m.