NEWBERRY- The Newberry College baseball team defeated the Senators of Davis & Elkins 14-7 in the first game of the weekend series, on Friday night.
With the win, the Wolves advance to 9-2-1 overall while the Senators drop to 0-4 overall.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Robert Kosch (Clemson, S.C.) went 2-for-4 at the plate, scoring three runs and driving in one. JoJo Bradley (Spartanburg, S.C.) drove in three and scored two runs while going 1-for-4 at the plate.
- Trejon Smith (Fredricksburg, Va.) went 1-for-3 at the plate, scoring two runs and driving in four while Danton Hyman (Prosperity, S.C) went 2-for-4 and scored two runs.
- Bradley Nichols (Winter Springs, Fla.), Derek Olenchuk (Irmo, S.C.), and Michael Gonzalez (Wilsonville, Ore.) all scored one run each while Jacob Bass (North Augusta, S.C.) scored two runs.
- Daniel Nations (Central, S.C) took the win for Newberry, pitching 6.0 innings. Nations gave up three runs and five hits, tallying four strikeouts.
- Mike DeLee (Dorchester, S.C) pitched one full inning, giving up two hits and one run. Christian Pope (Powder Springs, Ga.) tossed 2.0 innings on the bump, giving up three runs and five hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Senators scored three runs before the Wolves got on the board. Travis Phelps scored in the first when Tyler Honeycutt flew out to left field. William Kendrick and Ryan Butts both scored off Robbie McKinney’s single to center field to make the score 3-0.
Newberry tacked five runs in the fifth inning to take a 5-3 lead. Nichols scored the first run when Kosch walked before Bradley scored three. Bradley hit a double to left field pushing Kosch, Bass, and Hyman home. Bradley then scored the final run of the inning when Smith flew out to center field sending Bradley across home plate.
The Wolves scored four more runs in the seventh inning to increase their lead to 9-3. Olenchuk reached first base on an error by the pitcher which sent Kosch home. Olenchuk, Smith and Bradley all scored off a double by Jeff Sneed (Cumming, Ga.).
Newberry scored its last five runs of the game in the eighth inning. Hyman was sent home when Gonzalez singled to center field to make the score 10-4. Smith then tripled to center field that scored Gonzalez, Kosch and Bass. Smith scored the final run for Newberry off that same play when he reached home on an error made by the third baseman.
The Wolves are back at home tomorrow when they finish the three-game series with Davis & Elkins. The doubleheader will start at noon.