DUE WEST- Despite a two-run homer from Michael Gonzalez (Wilsonville, Ore.), the Newberry College baseball team dropped to Erskine College 15-7, on Tuesday afternoon. With the loss, the team drops to 8-2-1 overall while Erskine improves to 9-2 overall.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Gonzalez went 1-for-4 at the plate, scoring two runs and driving in two. JoJo Bradley (Spartanburg, S.C.) went 3-for-5 at the plate, scoring two runs.
- Trejon Smith (Fredricksburg, Va.) went 1-for-3 at the plate and scored two runs while Derek Olenchuk (Irmo, S.C.) went 2-for-4 and drove two in.
- Bradley Nichols (Winter Springs, Fla.) scored one run and went 1-for-1 at the plate.
- Robert Westenrieder (Taylors, S.C.) started the game pitching 0.1 innings, giving up four hits and four runs. Danton Hyman (Prosperity, S.C) took the loss for Newberry, pitching 4.2 innings. Hyman gave up two hits and three runs, and tallied two strikeouts.
- Cody Ezzell (Greensboro, N.C) tallied 1.0 inning on the mound, giving up three runs and one hit while Austin Walker pitched 0.1 inning.
- John Mason Reynolds (Taylors, S.C.) pitched 1.0 inning, giving up two runs and two hits while Marshall Rentz (Charleston, S.C.)pitched 0.2 inning, giving up five hits and three runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Bradley started the scoring off for Newberry in the first inning when he scored off Olenchuk’s single to center field. Smith and Gonzalez gave Newberry a 3-0 lead when they crossed home plate on a error from Erskine’s shortstop.
Erskine scored six runs before Newberry got back on the board. Wood scored the Fleet’s first run followed by a three-run homer from Faunce. Erskine then scored in the second inning with Cothran crossing home plate again. Davey scored the sixth run when Watts grounded out to the shortstop.
Gonzalez put the Wolves back on the board in the fifth inning when he sent the ball over the left field fence for a two-run homer. Smith then tied the game at 6-6 when Olenchuk singled up the middle.
The Fleet took control of the game in the seventh inning scoring five runs. Cothran, Faunce, Rave, Davey, and Nichols all scored one run each. Erskine tallied three more runs in the eighth with Moody, Davey and Nichols crossing home plate.
Newberry didn’t score again until the ninth inning when Tommy Passerello (Davenport, Fla.) singled up the middle scoring Nichols. Nichols run was the last time Newberry scored for the game.
The Wolves host Davis & Elkins for a three-game series on Friday, February 19 and Saturday, February 20. The single game on Friday will begin at 5 p.m. and on Saturday the doubleheader will start at noon.