|February 09, 2016||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||R||H||E|
|Win: Robert Westenrieder (2-0)||5.2||2||0||0||3||5|
|Loss: Hunter Dilworth (0-2)||5.0||4||2||2||2||2|
|Tony Davilla (NGU)||2||0||1||0||1||0|
|Nathaniel Maggio (NGU)||4||1||1||0||0||0|
|Drew Lipscomb (NGU)||2||0||1||2||0||0|
|Josh Black (NGU)||4||0||1||1||0||0|
|JoJo Bradley (NBY)||4||2||2||2||1||0|
|Derek Olenchuk (NBY)||3||0||2||1||1||0|
|Trejon Smith (NBY)||4||1||2||1||0||0|
NEWBERRY- The Newberry College baseball team hosts the Crusaders of North Greenville for a single game on Tuesday, February 9. The team looks to defeat the Crusaders after falling to them 8-5 last season.
WHO: Newberry College Wolves vs. North Greenville Crusaders
WHERE: Smith Road Complex, Newberry, S.C.
WHEN: 4 p.m. on Tuesday, February 9
LIVE STATS: NewberryStats.com
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE WOLVES
The team defeated the Crusaders of Belmont Abbey 4-3 in their home opener on Friday afternoon. The team then dropped to Belmont Abbey 6-2 before tieing the nightcap 1-1, on Saturday afternoon.
Friday Box Score
- Michael Gonzalez (Wilsonvile, Ore.) reached base in all four trips to the plate, going 2-for-2 and getting hit by two pitches. at the plate and scoring one run.
- Derek Olenchuk (Irmo, S.C) and Jeff Sneed (Cumming, Ga.) each drove in a run. Olenchuk's came on a triple in the third inning, which was Newberry's only extra base hit.
- Daymon Totherow (Danville, Va.), JoJo Bradley (Spartanburg, S.C.), Sneed and Olenchuk all scored a run apiece.
- Daniel Nations (Central, S.C) (1-0) earned the win for Newberry, giving up three hits and two runs in six innings. Nations also tallied seven strikeouts on the mound, walking four.
- Mike DeLee (Dorchester, S.C.) picked up his first save of the season, giving up one run in 3.0 innings pitched. He struck out six Crusaders and walked two.
Saturday Box Score (game 1)
- Trejon Smith (Fredericksburg, Va.) went 2-for-2 at the plate and scored one run while Totherow went 1-for-4 at the plate and scored one run for Newberry.
- Jacob Bass (North Augusta, S.C.) and Totherow both drove one run in each for the game.
- Hunter Hill (Hazel Green, Ala.) took the loss for Newberry, giving up nine hits and five runs in 3.2 innings pitched. He also tallied four strikeouts on the mound, walking one.
- Christian Pope (Powder Springs, Ga.) logged 1.2 innings on the mound for the Wolves, giving up two hits and one run.
- John Mason Reynolds (Taylors, S.C) pitched 0.2 innings, tallying one strikeout.
Saturday Box Score (game 2)
- Bass went 2-for-2 at the plate and scored the lone run for Newberry.
- Olenchuk and Tommy Passerello (Davenport, Fla.) each went 1-for-4 at the plate while Totherow drove in one.
- Zack Kelly (Daleville, Va.) pitched 6.0 innings, giving up three hits and striking out nine. Robert Westenrieder (Taylors, S.C.) tossed 1.1 innings, giving up three hits and the Crusaders’ lone run.
- Charlie Fessler (Summerville, S.C.) logged 1.2 innings on the mound, tallying three strikeouts.
WOLVES & CRUSADERS LAST MEETING
The Wolves fell to North Greenville last season 8-5. Newberry left 11 runners on base while struggling to get a hit with runners in scoring position as they only mustered two hits in 14 chances throughout the game.
Westenrieder was tagged with the first loss of his career after surrendering seven runs, six earned, on six hits in two innings of work. DeLee tossed two innings, giving up only his second run of the season while allowing three hits and striking out three batters.
Robert Kosch (Clemson, S.C.) led the Wolves offensively as he tallied two hits in three trips to the plate. Bradley drove in three runs while Ben Herring (Hopkins, S.C) scored and drove in a pair. Albert Baur picked up his South Atlantic Conference leading 10th double of the season with his only hit of the day.
North Greenville tallied its first win of the season by defeating Lander 11-5, on Saturday afternoon. Ethan Garner earned the win in the game after throwing 3.2 innings and giving up only two runs, moving him to 1-0 on the season. John Leopard earned his first save of the year with his performance. David Houser paced the Crusaders at the plate with his 3-5 performance to go along with four RBI’s, including a homer, and three runs scored.
The team was picked to finish second in the league by Conference Carolinas coaches, earning 59 total points including one first-place vote. The Crusaders entered the 2016 season as the defending tournament champions. The Crusaders finished last season 29-25 with a 14-12 league record but earned their first ever NCAA tournament bid by sweeping through the Conference Carolinas tournament including wins over Pfeiffer, Mount Olive, and King.
The Wolves host Brevard, Young Harris and King on Friday, February 12 to Sunday, February 14 as part of their Newberry Round Robin. Newberry will play Brevard on Friday, February 12 at 5 p.m. before they play King on Saturday, February 13 at 6 p.m. Newberry will end the tournament with a game on Sunday, February 14 against Young Harris at 3:30 p.m.