|SPORTS||FB, FH, WL|
Setzler Field is home to the Newberry College football, field hockey and women's lacrosse programs.
The field was named after Professor Edwin B. Setzler (Class of 1892) on Nov. 4, 1922. It is the oldest on-campus football stadium in the state of South Carolina.
The Indians coached by Frank "Dutch" McLean (Class of 1915) won the first varsity game played on Setzler Field by defeating The Citadel, 10-7. The first game played on the field was a win by the Newberry College junior varsity over Newberry High School, 33-0, on Sept. 16, 1922.
In the summer of 2006, the grass playing surface was replaced with AstroPlay XPN, an artificial playing surface also used in the RCA Dome by the NFL's Indianapolis Colts. The new surface features a large block "N" at midfield and red end zones with "NEWBERRY" written in both ends.
The Indians tied the University of South Carolina for the state title in 1924 and were the champions of the Little Four Conference in 1940. Newberry played in the Elks Bowl in 1954 and earned the Little Four championship and a berth in the Palmetto Shrine Bowl in 1955.
Newberry's first championship in football since joining the NCAA in 1991-92 was earned in 2006. The Indians claimed the South Atlantic Conference championship in 2006 with a conference record of 6-1. Newberry hosted NCAA postseason competition for the first time on Nov. 18, 2006, as the Indians - the third seed in the Southeast Region - defeated sixth-seeded Albany State, 34-28, in the first round. The Indians finished the season 11-2 overall.
Newberry College's women's lacrosse team began its program in the stadium in spring 2012, while the women's field hockey squad began in fall 2013.