ROCK HILL, S.C. - The fifth-seeded Newberry Wolves held a lead after doubles competition, but the fourth-seeded Tusculum Pioneers won four of six singles matches to take a 5-4 win in the first round of the 2012 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference Men's Tennis Tournament at the Rock Hill Tennis Center on Thursday afternoon.
The Wolves end their season with a record of 13-12.
Newberry felt good about its chances after the doubles competition, with the all-SAC pair of Michael Saunders (Christchurch, New Zealand) and Vinicius Botelho (Fortaleza, Brazil) taking an 8-5 win and the No. 3 duo of Cal Loveridge (Derby, Derbyshire, England) and Carlos Nicolopulos (Valencia, Venezuela) earning a 9-8 tiebreaker win to put Newberry up 2-1.
However, only Botelho at No. 2 (6-0, 6-2) and Mohammed Chakir (Rabat, Morocco) at No. 3 (6-3, 6-1) were able to earn singles victories. Newberry had a 4-2 lead after Chakir's win, but Tusculum won the final three matches on the courts to advance to Friday's semifinal against top-seeded Wingate.
Tusculum 5, Newberry 4
1. Lukas Winkelmann (TCM) def. Michael Saunders (NEWM) 6-1, 6-4
2. Vinicius Botelho (NEWM) def. Tony Bujana (TCM) 6-0, 6-2
3. Mohammed Chakir (NEWM) def. Luis Zamora (TCM) 6-3, 6-1
4. Paul Wiederspahn (TCM) def. Cal Loveridge (NEWM) 7-5, 6-1
5. Steven Lin (TCM) def. Carlos Nicolopulos (NEWM) 6-1, 6-0
6. Stefan Vergeer (TCM) def. David Sons (NEWM) 6-1, 6-2
1. Michael Saunders/Vinicius Botelho (NEWM) def. Lukas Winkelmann/Luis Zamora (TCM) 8-5
2. Steven Lin/Paul Wiederspahn (TCM) def. Mohammed Chakir/David Sons (NEWM) 8-0
3. Cal Loveridge/Carlos Nicolopulos (NEWM) def. Drew Kiser/John Taylor (TCM) 9-8 (7-3)