NEWBERRY, S.C. – Newberry sophomore Vinicius Botelho had a perfect day at the Cannon Tennis Courts as he earned a victory at No. 1 doubles with partner Michael Saunders and a straight sets victory at No. 2 singles as the Wolves fell 6-3 to the visiting Railsplitters of Lincoln Memorial.
Saunders (Christchurch, New Zealand) and Botelho (Fortaleza, Brazil) edged out their opponents at No. 1 singles for an 8-5 victory. The Wolves’ No. 2 duo of sophomore Mohammed Chakir (Rabat, Morocco) and junior Cal Loveridge (Derby, Derbyshire, England) battled into a tiebreak situation, but was unable to secure victory as they fell 9-7.
Botelho picked up a big 6-3 victory in the opening set at No. 2 singles, before edging out Will Sparks in a second set tiebreak. The Wolves second singles point came at No. 6 where sophomore David Sons (Lexington, S.C.) recovered from a first set loss to win in the second set and in a super tiebreaker third set.
The Wolves hit the road on Tuesday as Newberry travels to Catawba for a 2 p.m. match.
Lincoln Memorial 6, Newberry 3
Mar 25, 2012
Cannon Tennis Courts
1. Philipp Hoffmann (LMU) def. Michael Saunders (NEWM) 6-3, 6-1
2. Vinicius Botelho (NEWM) def. Will Sparks (LMU) 6-3, 7-6
3. Marcelo Alvim (LMU) def. Mohammed Chakir (NEWM) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Alexey Minevskiy (LMU) def. Cal Loveridge (NEWM) 2-6, 6-4, 12-10
5. Tom Goossens (LMU) def. Carlos Nicolopulos (NEWM) 6-3, 6-4
6. David Sons (NEWM) def. Michael Koenen (LMU) 1-6, 6-3, 10-8
1. Michael Saunders/Vinicius Botelho (NEWM) def. Philipp Hoffmann/Tom Goossens (LMU) 8-5
2. Will Sparks/Marcelo Alvim (LMU) def. Mohammed Chakir/Cal Loveridge (NEWM) 9-7
3. Michael Koenen/Alexey Minevskiy (LMU) def. Jeffery Kiser/Carlos Nicolopulos (NEWM) 8-0
Lincoln Memorial 8-3, 2-2 SAC
Newberry 10-10, 1-4 SAC