MARS HILL, N.C. – For the first time in the 2012 season, the Newberry women’s tennis team fell in South Atlantic Conference action dropping a 6-3 decision at Mars Hill.
The Lions defaulted a pair of victories to Newberry at No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles, respectively.
The two free points was not enough as the Wolves earned only one victory in singles action as freshman Emily Helsel (Port Orange, Fla.) picked up a straight sets victory at No. 5 singles.
The Wolves next travel to Anderson where the Wolves and Trojans are set to meet at noon on Saturday.
Mars Hill 6, Newberry 3
Mar 21, 2012
Mars Hill, N.C.
1. Erika Pinate (MHCW) def. Ariel Strong (NEWW) 7-6, 6-2
2. Tatiana Dualiby (MHCW) def. Susana Aguirre (NEWW) 6-7, 6-2, 6-4
3. Anna Rickenbaker (MHCW) def. Romina Adum (NEWW) 6-3, 6-4
4. Jacqueline Rouquet (MHCW) def. Marina Ziehe (NEWW) 6-1, 6-2
5. Emily Helsel (NEWW) def. Jordan Dockery (MHCW) 6-2, 6-1
6. No player (NEWW) def. No player (MHCW), by default
1. Erika Pinate/Tatiana Dualiby (MHCW) def. Susana Aguirre/Ariel Strong (NEWW) 9-7
2. Anna Rickenbaker/Jacqueline Rouquet (MHCW) def. Marina Ziehe/Romina Adum (NEWW) 8-1
3. No player/No player (NEWW) def. No player/No player (MHCW), by default